Thursday, July 10, 2014

it's my Friday

And thank goodness for that.

* Here's hoping for a totally uneventful weekend. It's supposed to be hot, but now that I have A/C again, I can cope with that. I do need to take my car out tomorrow for an oil and filter change, and do some basic grocery shopping. And I'll probably come in here to do some work.

* I finished the head and started the body of Queen Chrysalis. I have to limit how long I crochet on it because it's tight (I'm using a smaller hook than recommended to avoid stuffing show-through) and it hurts my hands after a while.

* I did wind up having to open up the Duke's mayo last night. I wanted to make horseradish sauce for the steak I cooked and had only a drop of the regular mayo I use (Hellman's) left. From what I could taste through everything else, Duke's seems less sweet and more vinegary, so I will probably like it very well. I may have to just plan occasional trips to the Brookshire's when I need mayo. (I don't use it often but I do for making horseradish sauce, for egg salad, and for one or two other things).

* And I confess, and this is where I perhaps fit in with that group described in the book "Twee," that part of the attraction of Duke's for me is that (a) it's different from what I've seen and used before and (b) it does have a certain cachet of being "regional" or something that people "in the know" go for. (As I once commented to the Sunday school class: the reason so many things we call "heresies" now - like Gnosticism, especially - got a foothold is that there's something very attractive about feeling like you have knowledge the ordinary shlub on the street isn't privy to. That's probably also partly why conspiracy theories tend to attract people, even sometimes people that you otherwise thought had more common sense/critical thinking skills.)

* Depending on when I get out of lab, I might run to the local quilt shop to get the new Quilty, it's supposed to be out now. I've gotten really fond of this magazine even if the first issue I looked at I thought it was just a little bit "precious" in its editorial tone, but the patterns are fun and solid and it shows different ways of doing things. And I like some of the columns in it, I always look forward to Ebony Love's columns. (I will do my best to resist looking at the fabric and the yarn when I am at the shop. Though I might have a filled out loyalty card that I think gets me $20 off when I spend at least $20...)

* I probably will come in and sort soil and work on the manuscript this weekend but what I really want to do is stay home and either work on the hexie quilt or knit....

* I would very much like my weekend to feel like this:




No comments: