Friday, July 04, 2014

Happy Independence Day

* Yeah, I came in to work. I admit I feel oddly and vaguely guilty working on what's probably the biggest holiday of the summer, but, oh well. I'm celebrating my freedom by deciding to come in and work today and work less tomorrow? Does that work?

* I kind of want to go antiquing this weekend and I need to do "big" grocery shopping ANYWAY so I think tomorrow I will go to Sherman. It will probably mean more driving around (as I will have to do the groceries last, so they don't spoil in a hot car - I have a small cooler but I only use that to keep frozen stuff frozen on the way home, and I can't fit much into it, anyway). But it's been too long since I just went out and did fun stuff, instead of a quick trip to get groceries and mmmmmaybe grab a magazine or a skein of yarn from the JoAnn's at the same time.

* My knitting and general crafting mojo seem to have returned. After a few weeks of feeling kind of "meh" about making stuff, now I have all kinds of plans in mind. I'm still happily working on Belvedere (again, after a long stall), and I'm picking away at Queen Chrysalis. And I'm looking at my stash yarn and thinking about "next sweaters" after I finish Belvedere. Maybe the British School Slipover from Folk Vests? I have some really pretty brown tweed in the stash for it. Or maybe the Tilted Duster from that old issue of Interweave - again, I have yarn for that, in kind of a duck-egg blue-green. And I wound off the blaze orange yarn for the lace hat....I might start THAT soon, too.

* I'm also thinking about quilts. Working on the top I'm about midway through with (a version of the Postage Stamp quilt, but done with strip-piecing so you don't have to cut 1500 little squares and then sew them back together). But I also was flipping through a back issue of Quilty and saw a quilt that had been done out of sort of bright, not-totally-coordinating colors. And you know? It makes me think of the quilts people did in the "earlier" days of quilting, when there were fewer fabrics available, and more people used scraps or what they had on hand, and things weren't as matchie-poo. And while I really like "matchie-poo" in a quilt sometimes, there's also something nice to me about those quilts that seem to be a callback to the 1970s. (Because that's the era when I grew up, and I remember some of the fabric combinations from that time). Also, there seemed to be more of a freedom about what colors you chose and how you put them together - like the rules of what matched were relaxed a little bit. And while sometimes that means a quilt comes out looking like a dog's breakfast (and I've seen some, in thrift stores or antique shops, that are like that), sometimes it's just happy and nice and fun. And I'm pretty good at vetting colors and fabrics before I use them.

 So I might go hunting through my stash (and also, I need to pick up and reorganize a bunch of it....some of it has wound up on the floor) and see if I've got some 1/2 yard oddments that would work for that quilt top. I don't know. I might never do anything with that, I have way more ideas than ever make it to actual starting.

* Not TOO loud last night (tonight will probably be the big crazy firecracker night.) I will say I'm really unhappy with some neighbors up the street. They have a dog that is obviously upset by firecracker sounds. So what do they do? Set of firecrackers in their front yard while the dog is outside: "*Boom*.....howl, whine.....*boom*.....howl, whine." I'd think it would be the thing to do to either (a) find a different place for the dog to hang out or (b) find a different place to go set off the fireworks. (Though maybe that's tough. I know if I owned, say, a big hayfield or something, I wouldn't want people setting off fireworks in it. Even though we've had enough rain so it would be unlikely to catch fire. No, I'd be afraid that someone would blow off their hand or something and then try to sue ME for providing a location where they could be idiots. It would probably (I hope) be laughed out of court but still, I can see that being a risk nobody wants to take)

I do know people have come up to our parking lot in the past to set fireworks off; I find the trash the next day. So I probably won't stay too late today just in case someone gets the idea to do that and they set them off near my car.

No comments: