Friday, July 04, 2014

Bad luck Fourth

Yeah, I don't get it. Last year I broke a tooth and spent the evening fearing whether I could get it fixed, and if it was even fixable.

This year, I came home, and thought, "That's a strange sound....it's like water running."

I localized it to the fan on the air conditioner/furnace unit. (My house HVAC may be kind of strange - the furnace and blower unit are in a repurposed closet but the AC unit is outside). The AC unit seems to work fine (or at least did once I did a complete power-down, wait five minutes, and restart.) The blower won't work. Even after two tries of the power cycle.

I have a call in to the emergency number of the HVAC place, because it's supposed to get wickedly hot this weekend and I have a long teaching day Monday that I canNOT bow out of in any way, so if he can't come today or tomorrow, I'm screwed until Tuesday at the earliest, and it's supposed to approach 100 degrees here by tomorrow.

I have some hope - the first guy I called gave me this guy's number and said, "He's right around the corner from you" which I REALLY hope means he's working another job and will check his messages and call me as soon as he's done with it.

My alternate plan is to hope one of the hotels in town has a room available, and go stay there. Because I've learned I don't sleep - at all - if the room I'm in is hotter than 80 degrees. And it may be an extended stay (sigh) if I can't get the guy out right away.

It might be cheaper to run to Voldemart (if they're still open this afternoon) and buy a window unit and hole up in my bedroom. I don't even know what a cheap window unit runs these days.

But ugh. I was really looking forward to relaxing tonight, taking a nice long shower, sleeping well. I could still do that in a hotel room, I guess, but....it's not the same as being at home.

The other problem is if the unit's totally fried and he can't fix it at all, then I'm really screwed. I guess then it will be time to look into window units while I wait on parts or what the heck ever.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Yikes! I hope he's nearby and the fix is speedy.

My memory (checked on Best Buy) is that you can get a perfectly reasonable window one for $120-150.