Saturday, March 05, 2011

Now I'm done.

Done for the weekend, at least with work duties. I got the exam written (leaving a few points "free" to cover what we discuss on Monday). I graded the papers that I could. (One person sent her paper in word-perfect format, which people tell me is the word processor that comes with Microsoft "Works," the problem is, it's not compatible with Microsoft Word. (Facepalm.)

So I e-mailed the student back, reminding her of my "please do not send documents in formats other than Word-compatible ones" and asking her to save it in Rich Text or Word and re-send.

This happens every semester. I should be used to it, but it frustrates me when it happens. (I technically have a "do not send me electronic copies of your papers; print hard copies and hand them in" rule just because of this, but there are SO MANY PEOPLE out with stomach bugs right now...)

(I'm actually kind of amazed I've missed it. And now I have to knock wood, and go home and rub my anti-evil-eye charm, out of superstition...)

(Though I wonder sometimes if some of the "stomach bugs" are related to "oh no, there's an exam today." I admit to having this reaction to some of the occasional requests for make-up exams:

The Ol Eyebrow Gif - The Ol Eyebrow
see more Gifs

That said, most of the students do bring doctor's notes and such. And the ones that don't, if they're "playing" me, I figure it'll come back to bite them someday, somehow)

I really do need some time off this weekend. Last weekend, as fun as it was...I wasn't home a whole lot, and that gets to be tiring. And I look at my various projects and I feel sad because I'm not working on them. Right now I have twothree FOUR pairs of socks in various states of completion (I forgot about the Poems yarn sock that's been stalled for a long time because it's annoying to knit on, and the Paton's ombre yarn one that was a knit-and-read project. I also have two lace or semi-lace socks going). And the Potter sweater. And three shawls, though two of them are long-stalled. And two scarves. And a monster. (I bought the new Rebecca Danger monster pattern book. Bought it direct from her so she signed it to me.) And the quilts in the frames, and the quilt top, and the handpieced quilt, and the pillowcases.

So it makes me sad to think of all those projects languishing. Now, granted, one good thing about this kind of craft (as opposed to things like potterywork or cake decorating) is that if you have to put what you're doing aside for a month or ten, you can - it won't dry out or spoil (Though if you get an infestation of carpet beetles, it might get eaten...)

My goal is to finish at least one of those items this weekend. (The Paton's socks would be doable, the monster would be doable. The pillowcases possibly...)

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I've heard good things about using http://www.zamzar.com/ to convert papers. The Works thing is annoying.

I hope the weekend is more relaxing.

CGHill said...

An actual WordPerfect document - I'm told that lawyers still embrace that word processor - will have a .wpd extension.

Except for spreadsheets, I am now doing all this stuff in OpenOffice.org, which works pretty well on Word documents, but it won't touch anything having to do with Microsoft Works.