Friday, February 04, 2011

I can has.

I braved the almost 4" of snow. (We have no snowplows here, and I guess the city gave up on even dropping grit in intersections). My drive was scarier than the streets, though.

I got to the Green Spray, at first thought they were closed. Luckily I walked up to to the door and saw a cashier in there...

So now I have a gallon of skim milk, and more orange juice, and some coleslaw makings, and bacon (I'm going to try making like German Potato Salad dressing for on the cole slaw - I like vinegary cole slaw but not the mayonnaise kind). And I restocked on some of the canned goods (beets and mandarin oranges) that were running out (I think I used my last can of beets Wednesday).

So now I'm good for a while.

It's interesting what different people think is blizzard food, apparently. I was all worried there would be no milk and the canned goods shelves would be bare. But it was pop and frozen pizza that was in short supply. (I think they were all out of Dr. Pepper.) As I don't really use either of those, I was able to get everything I needed.

For me, the blizzard necessities are: canned veggies and fruit (they keep forever, and even if you lose power, you can still eat the fruit). Broth, so you can make soup. Noodles or macaroni for the soup. Dry or canned beans. Milk (I have to have milk.). Peanut butter. Granola bars. Crackers or bread. Tea.

All of those things I have on hand at all times, anyway, and with the exception of milk, don't need to be bought on a weekly basis.

(They were also getting low on bread, but they don't carry the bread I like anyway. I think I'm going to make a batch of bread in my bread machine today.)

6 comments:

besshaile said...

ahhh - you and I would be fighting over that last bag of dried beans and the canned beets. Last thing I'd ever buy if power was going to go out, was frozen pizza. go figure.

Bob & Phyllis said...

DH and I always called these weather events "french toast crises", because everyone bought milk, bread and eggs. What do you make with milk, bread and eggs? French toast!! (well, at least *we* do).

We happened to have stocked up right before our crisis, so we didn't venture out. I don't know what was running short in our neck of the woods.

Glad your power stayed on and you've been warm and dry.
:)
Phyllis

purlewe said...

was thinking about you today. A friend in your neck of the woods had 5 inches this morning. (his website is called wormspit) and so I popped over here to see if you were still out of school.

I agree with you on the food stuff. If we have snow and I am making bread before the electricity goes out and eating beans and canned things. I definitely have enough canned and dried things to keep myself well fed if something bad ever goes down.

Looking forward to seeing more of your quilting!

Anonymous said...

My list for "barricaded at home alone" would include rice and flour rather than pasta, and meat/chicken instead of stock.
But then I'd be helpless anyway, in the absence of public transport...

Interesting that you mentioned beets. I heard an opinion, shared by many, that Americans, especially American men, don't fancy beets. The reason, I'm told, is due to ungainly sweetness of typical beet dishes in US. One of my blog-correspondents claimed her French husband hates them in any shape or form, despite of many beautiful beet gourmet uses in his country.
I myself noticed strange concoction that Americans take for Russian recipe, called "borsht", sometimes even canned - and it is truly a horror in a jar. No wonder...
How do you use beets in your cooking?

Lydia said...

Wow. I'm glad you got back OK. That sounds really nasty, especially without plows.

Can you get Parmalat or other milk in tetra bricks? I've seen the juice boxes of milk sometimes, and have considered getting them for after a trip.

CGHill said...

The only thing they were out of at my usual store was Cheez-Its. Make of that what you will.

They still had 25-lb bags of rock salt for cheap; I picked one up, realized that the stuff I had didn't work all that well on Blizzard '11 (Part One), and put it back down again.