Sunday, February 06, 2011

Just enough yarn

I finished the Cable Ribbed Socks (these were from a back issue of Interweave Knits and are also in their "25 favorite socks" book).

I didn't run out of yarn, after all. Once I got to the last cable repeat I could tell I'd have enough. I didn't have a LOT of extra yarn, but I had enough:

cable ribs with leftover yarn

An interesting thing I just noticed in that photo: you can totally see the point of the gauge chance in the striping of the yarn! You knit the first four inches or so of the socks on size 2 needles (so they will fit over the larger part of the calf) and then switch to size 1 needles (a more typical size for sockweight yarn, and really what I find I need to make a fabric that is dense enough to wear well on the foot)

They look very long and skinny in that picture, but they do "take up with wear":

cable rib socks

Also, you can see the cables a little better when they are on the leg.

I've been working on these since Thanksgiving so it feels good to finish them.

I've started two new projects: some fingerless mitts (it looks like we will be in for more cold weather, and a pair of "dressier" mitts I could wear with dressier clothes in class - especially if the heat is out again in the classrooms - will be nice) and a pair of socks (A Nancy Bush pattern on size 0s, so it will probably be a while before I photograph those).

***

Now sure whether to tune in to any of the Super Bowl or not. This morning, I was all "It's the Packers! And the Steelers! Two of the old "original*" teams, and probably the only two with their original names!" (Actually, the Steelers were originally the Pirates, I guess.**). But this afternoon, I got kind of meh about it, especially as it's supposed to run until at least 9, and 4:30 am is going to come awfully early after nearly a week of not setting my alarm because school was out.


(*Yeah, yeah, I know. There used to be an NFL and an AFL and at some point (before I was conscious of the game) they merged, so the idea of "original" teams is kind of muddy. Though I guess the NFL came first, and the AFL was a competitor for a while...)

(**And maybe I'd feel differently about the entire game if the Akron Professionals still existed. Oh, we had the Cleveland Browns (that is, until Modell sold them to Baltimore), but Cleveland was always more remote and harder to get to - I think I saw one Indians game in the 20 years I lived in the region, but multiple Akron Zips (the college team) football games. The "Akron Pros" were actually called the "Akron Burkhardts" for a while. Heh. If I were writing detective novels, that would make an excellent name for a 30s-era detective, I think: "Akron Burkhardt, P.I.")

So I don't know. I might watch a few minutes of it, I might not. I am not that great a fan of the Ball of the Foot, and a lot of times the big games seem so heavily larded with extra stuff (seriously, the pre-game show was listed as being 4 hours long?!?!) that I get bored with it.

(I feel the same way with baseball on tv, though I can happily listen to it on the radio while going about other things, and my one recent experience with an in-person baseball game was a lot of fun and something I'd like to do again)

1 comment:

Bob & Phyllis said...

I LOVE watching baseball in person (ESPECIALLY the farm teams) and listening to it on the radio. (on TV, not so much). I grew up listening to the Braves and Skip Carey in Atlanta, back in the heyday of Hank Aaron and Phil Niekro.

While I do go to Braves games when I visit my family, my time now is spent with the Columbus Clippers, AAA farm team for the Tribe.

*sigh* Lots of nice memories. Thank you for that on a Monday.
:)