Thursday, June 18, 2009

Yes, you can has Ceiling Cat.

(For those unfamiliar with the Way of LOL, "Ceiling Cat" is kind of the incarnation manifestation* of God in the LOLcat universe. So: Ceiling Cat is watching you...uh, do whatever it is you do).

These are kind of funny, and if I felt like more of the students were in to LOLcats, I'd do something like print one up and stick it up in my lab, with the warning, "Ceiling Cat is watching you slack off!" (or better: "Ceiling Cat is watching you not wash the glassware you used!") But I bet people would either not get it, or would roll their eyes and go, "That is SO 2007"

(*edited to add. I was "looking" for that word earlier and could not come up with it. I do not know whether to be alarmed by that fact or merely to accept that because I have lots of stuff in my brain, stuff gets misplaced sometimes. But I do have occasional "blank spots" where I can't come up with the precise word I want or someone's name - the other day I was trying to tell someone about how Hedy Lamarr was somewhat of an engineer in addition to being an actress (she helped develop a system that could be used for radio-guiding torpedoes) and I could NOT think of her name..."Rita Heyworth" kept popping into my mind and "blocking" my ability to retrieve the name I wanted. I don't know why- the two actresses really do not look alike. But that happens to me sometimes. It's especially scary when I'm up in front of class and can't think of the precise word; I usually have to talk around it.

The thing is, when I'm relaxed and thinking of something else, the right word will pop into my head. As did "manifestation of God" when I was sorting through soil this afternoon looking for invertebrates. As did, for that matter, "Hedy Lamarr.")

3 comments:

dragon knitter said...

don't feel bad, dear. i'm that way all the time, and i'm 3 years older thanyou, lol. also, i have a friend 5years younger than me who ended up getting up close and personal with a rear-view mirror (a drunk driver hit her), and often has aphasic moments. sometimes, when you're as smart as we are, words just fail.

Lynn said...

I have always had trouble coming up with the right word(s) at the right time. I often come up with it a few minutes later, when it's too late. That's the good thing about online communication. You can edit.

Spike said...

The human brain is an amazing intuition/juxtaposition machine . . . with a terrible filing system.