Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I worked a bit more on the Bird's Nest Shawl (I am now 1/10 done with the last repeat of it.). But as it looks like just a big pile of light-brown knitting (and will until it's blocked), no photos.

I find myself torn between the desire to finish up the existing projects and to start something new. Among existing projects I have:

the afore-mentioned Bird's Nest Shawl

the Cobblestone pullover

two pairs of socks

the amigurumi cat

the quilt in the frame

the quilt I'm piecing right now

the embroidered pillowcases

the hand-piecing Grandmother's Flower Garden

the Color-bar blanket

the Airy Cardigan (yes, I still have that, and yes, it's not finished yet. I probably should take one of my weekend days, when I'm better-rested, and do the math to lengthen the sleeves on it, then start it up again...if I got it done this summer I'd have it to wear once it started to get cool in the fall)

the Feather-and-Fan scarf

The Crest O the Wave scarf

the no-longer-clandestine, "Supplying Angst to Crowned Heads" scarf (available for sale on Ravelry. Yeah, not so great as a test-knitter on this one...it's out for sale looooong before I finished it. Though I did pull it out a couple weeks ago and add a few more rows. It's slow going and I keep making #$&#@@ mistakes on it so I either have to rip back (which I HATE on laceweight, especially laceweight that's been "slip, slip, knit"-ted) or fudge it. I don't know how far I am - not far enough. I DO want to finish this but it requires a level of attention of me that I don't really have right now)


I'd love to be super-organized and super-disciplined and say, "I will start no new projects until I have finished these" (except, seeing as the Grandmother's Flower Garden might be a "lifespan" project, that seems too restrictive). And also, it just seems like - I don't know - I'm so disciplined in other areas of my life (hauling my butt out of bed at 5 am to work out when I'd really rather sleep that extra hour, eating spinach when I really want something yummier, doing all my classwork and grading before I can play, working an hour a day on research...) I think sometimes if I got any more disciplined, my head might explode. Or implode. I don't know which.

The good news is that it's Wednesday. Tomorrow is my Friday. If I make it through this afternoon's lab, the rest of the week will be easy.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

You might do like Judy Summer (from KnitList) used to do. She prioritized her projects and assigned the top seven to a day of a week. So on Monday, she worked on that project. Tuesday it was a different project. Eventually, everything was completed yet she didn't have to spend all her knitting time on just one thing. I think this is a much better approach than declaring you'll only work on one thing until it's completed.

I do a sort of modified version of that. I have a project I work on at knit group, maybe a different project I knit when sitting at the computer waiting for things to download, a different project in the laundry room to work on while waiting for the washer to finish, another project to take with me when I take my sister to her medical appointments, etc. Eventually, all get done.

TChem said...

No you were a great test-knitter! You got through all the charts and pointed out several stupid errors on my part. It was exactly what was needed, especially considering it wasn't for much except gratitude and a free pattern.

(You should add it to Rav, though, and hook it up to the pattern, because mine is getting lonely. Had some purchases, but no one else has knit it just yet.)

My personal technique for reducing the numbers of wips is to spend the most time working on the one that's closest to being done. Get rid of one or two that way and suddenly things seem a lot more free. There are times like right now, however, where all the projects need significant work and ARG. (I have so many projects right now, which is not like me, and they all have a lot left to them.)