Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Huh:

supposed quotation from "designers" (seen on Craftblog):

"Hosiery is for grannies and pin-up girls."

Well, I'm definitely not a granny...But I do wear hose, at least until it gets so unbearably hot here that it's unpleasant. (And even then, if I'm wearing a shorter skirt, I still will wear them...it's sort of a modesty thing, a throwback to the days when you wore shorts under your skirts on the playground so you could do "penny drops" on the monkey bars without people chanting that "I see London, I see France" rhyme).

So by someone's strict logic, that means I'm in the same category as Betty Grable and Lili St. Cyr. (And even Sophia Loren, who, were I given the choice of any woman on this earth to look like, I would choose...)


People who make broad generalizations. They're so cute.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Odd. I always thought hose were for those of us whose legs are not naturally gorgeous. Mine are definitely in the "not naturally gorgeous" category but I rarely wear hose. Most of my dresses are longish. Not all the way to the ankle but well below the knee; long enough to conceal enough.

Charlotte said...

I wear hose because I dislike the feel of my feet in shoes without them. I'm definitely in the "grannie" age group although I'm not a grannie. If wearing hosiery puts me in company with the ladies you mentioned, well I can think of uglier people to be with. To me, hosiery adds a finished polish to the appearance that I like.