Monday, November 12, 2007

Someone made a pair of socks featuring Planck's constant.

That makes me want to consider more science-geek type socks. Maybe a pair of pi-striped socks, like my pi hat. Or, I don't know, socks that somehow capture some of the ideas of quantum mechanics.

I still have the idea for a quark scarf hibernating in my head - even have the yarn for it. (Black for the background, red, green and blue for decorations on the scarf, because one of the designators given to quarks is "color" - not a literal color, of course, but convenient names assigned to properties that apparently have no analog in the macroscale world). I keep thinking it will be some kind of an intarsia pattern - small boxes of color on the black background - but, unless I double the scarf (and it's aran-weight yarn I intended to use for it, which would make for a heavy scarf), I'm not sure how to make the back neat enough to be presentable on something like a scarf, where the reverse side will be seen.

I also toyed with the idea of making the colors into "bobbles" which I have to admit pleases me, but I hate doing bobbles.

Perhaps what I'll wind up doing is some kind of broken-stripe thing, carrying the colors so it's like a Fair Isle design, and just abandon the idea of having more than one "quark" color per row.

1 comment:

dragon knitter said...

you could line the back of the scarf with matching microfleece. or black flannel, if you can find it, lol.