Monday, March 31, 2003

And progress over the weekend: I am now several inches into the front of the Lightning-Bolt family pullover. I also picked a bit at the extremely tedious beaded-rib socks.

And I worked in my garden on Sunday. I have about 3/4 of the current garden hoed up (well, 3/4 of the part without perennials in place). Yes, I am sore, but not as sore as I expected to be. I planted some gazania and some forget-me-nots (that's a gamble, the seeds are 2 years old), and some "wildflower mix" (after checking first to be sure it contained no bachelor button; the horticultural bachelor's button is becoming an invasive species in some areas), and some impatiens (again, a gamble, I've never direct seeded impatiens before but it's too late to start them indoors now). I also planted some cosmos, and when I am really sure we won't get another freeze, I have several packets of different kinds of zinnias to go out, and some creeping nasturtiums.

I also started hoeing up a new garden area (to hold my tomatoes this summer) and I noticed one of the ladies-tresses orchids was right in the middle of it (I have several individuals of this species apparently growing wild in my lawn). I thought: do I risk transplanting it, or do I make a little popsicle-stick fence around it and try to remember not to chop it up when I cultivate that area? In the end, transplanting won out, so I carefully dug it up (luckily, most orchids have thick short roots; they are highly dependent on a form of mycorrhizal fungi that grow on their roots) and planted it at one end of my flower garden. Though now I will feel bad if it doesn't make it. But, these things have apparently survived in the yard since before the house was built (that's my guess; the house has never been owned by an avid gardener/botanist before and where these things are growing they do not look planted) so I'm guessing they're pretty tough.

No comments: