Monday, March 31, 2003

A published response to "the" article. I like the line near the end about the "narrow definition of feminism".

I've talked about my mom a little bit here before. She was the first child in her family to go to college. Her father withdrew his life savings from the bank and gave it to her when it looked like she wasn't going to be able to go one semester. She wound up earning a Ph.D. in botany. She taught a bit but when I was born (and later, when my brother came along), she made the choice to stay home with us. (My father had actually asked her, she said, if she wanted to get a babysitter for me so she could continue to work and she said no). I didn't understand that when I was 18, and I'm not entirely sure I appreciated it - I almost felt guilty for interrupting my mother's career. But now that I am in my 30s, I understand. And I am very grateful. And if I were in the position to have children, and if I had the financial ability to stay home, I would.

My mother taught my brother and me to cook (without a microwave!), to sew (and more than just the basics), to read, to write. She taught us about gardening and nutrition and how to fix simple things that go wrong with household appliances. She let us take broken alarm clocks apart to see what was going on inside them. She let us keep tadpoles and caterpillars and turtles in the house. She taught me to knit and crochet and quilt (by that time, my brother's interests had shifted elsewhere)

She never once told either of us that anything we were doing was "wrong" because of what gender we belonged to. And my father once told me, "if anyone tells you there is [some subject in school] you won't be good at because you're a girl, it's your duty to show them they are wrong."

yeah, I guess my parents were feminists. Or rather, "personists," as the newer term goes.

No comments: