I added a couple more repeats to the columns socks. They move slowly, and also I made a bad mistake (dropped one of the purl stitches) and had to do a LOT to get it fixed. And even then, it's not perfect, but I don't think it will show too much.
Other than that, I'm just TIRED. I have some difficult students this semester; the one unhappy with their grade was back to hector me again about extra credit and I think next time I'm going to point out that they DID finish the exam but they got several high point questions wrong. And if they ask in class tomorrow I will note I had someone who was out with an extended illness (it was a form of staph, and they were told by their doctor "under no circumstances return to campus before this date") and that person still needs to take it. I need to see the whole distribution of grades but given that a lot of folks scored decently well I'm disinclined to do extra credit.
They can go complain to my chair if they want. But if I'm told I "have" to do it, I might play the "good luck finding someone to do my job" card (I am close enough to retirement, and I also admit, I am FED UP TO HERE with the broken AC, and the fact that the reno was done cheaply and it's failing in the hot rooms (trim peeling off in the lab where I teach) and there are loud fans everywhere and I've endured like a year and a half of extra work and disruption for.....nothing. AND the whole AI thing - I got an ad for an on campus "webinar" (UGH) about "using AI for productivity" and no. I am too close to retirement to care. I do not want to use AI. I do not want to have to be more "productive," teaching four classes now (a total of just over 100 "unique" students - a couple are in 2 or 3 of my classes) and I feel like I might not have that much life left, so why spend it grinding away for something I rarely hear thanks or appreciation for? (And yeah, in the face of all the disruption and unpleasantness, the administration has acted like....we don't matter. Obviously they don't care about what we've had to deal with)
But anyway. I hope things get better. I have a tiny doorsign now I did warn one colleague about (IOW: "Don't knock on my door if this is up, unless it's a real emergency")
I even remember the episode that's from. But yes, more and more after I walk out of class I need 10 or 20 minutes of quiet where no one is haranguing me or demanding things.
I did get a little package from a friend, which makes things better. Some stickers, and an artist's painting of what looks like a nerve cell, and then a weird old (publication date 1994) cookbook. I think she remembered I love these oddball cookbooks that groups put together.
This is the group:
They don't exist any more; apparently they were folded into another group in 1998. (I looked them up). Apparently they were involved with logistics.
Anyway, there's also this:
SO there you go: according to the NAESU and Linda Newton, Mac and Cheese counts as a vegetable.




No comments:
Post a Comment