Monday, September 07, 2026

Labor Day over

 Well, I didn't have a lot of fun, but I didn't get a lot useful done either.

 

I did get a couple more rounds done of the colorwork; the next one starts to resolve the + shaped colorwork on the sweater. Eventually I get to doing the moth; I did order a magnetic chart-board to hold the charts and it should arrive before I get that far (sadly, neither of the yarn shops within a drive of me had one - I asked in Farmersville when I was last down there this spring, and I checked at my local and they don't carry them. So I mail ordered. 


 It distresses me slightly how long this takes; I think I knit more slowly now because I have a little arthritis in my hands. 

I also started sorting through the books. I really have too much stuff in a too small house and that's why I'm getting mice (too many places where they can hide) and so I have to get rid of stuff. I worked in my bedroom today and got two big tubs - one of juvenile and YA books, which I used to read a lot but recently got away from, and one of other books. (I AM keeping my copy of "My Side of the Mountain" and "No Flying in the House," and also the various Folio Society ones I've bought over the years - The Little Prince, the 101 Dalmatians, some Rosemary Sutcliff books). I did also find my copy of "The Great Divorce (though it was pretty much where I remembered it was). I want to read it again after seeing a quotation from it somewhere; I remember it's one of the few books that made me openly cry in public (I was waiting in an Amtrak station when I read it)

I also did a little cleaning-cleaning but that's not the hard part for me (and yes, it's the part I COULD hire out, if I had less stuff to have to work around); it's the tidying and finding places for stuff that's hard, so I really thing a purge of stuff is the only way.

I have the tubs of books in the car, on the grounds that "I have the time and energy to put them in now" and if I have time after work tomorrow I can call the public library and see if they're accepting donations for their sale. I had a few older paperbacks (older = 1980 to 1999 or so) that had gotten kind of foxed-looking from being in storage and I just pitched those, figuring people wouldn't want to buy books that look dirty.

I think I will find more later; there were a couple shelves I didn't look on yet, and there's still the shelves in the living room and the guest room. 

No comments: