Friday, July 24, 2026

another restarted project

 I got to thinking - that I had a nearly finished (except the button bands, which ARE tedious) cardigan hanging around, and maybe I should pull it out and try to finish it.

Remembering the shawl debacle of last week, I was apprehensive, but I figured as this was (a) worsted weight (less to get cut through), (b) not merino wool (for some reason carpet beetles seem to like that best), and (c) was better-stored, I had a decent shot of it being okay.

It was.

All it lacks is the pocket (which is to be attached where the little plastic markers are, on the lower left) and the button bands. 

And I found the buttons I specially ordered for it:


 

Celtic-style horses. This is sort of a man-styled (but "Victorian," and men were more okay being a bit of a dandy back then), so I think they fit. I special-ordered them; they were a little expensive but I feel like if you are spending all those hours on a sweater, why default to plain buttons (And any more, I don't have a JoAnn's to buy buttons from, so I am REALLY limited for in-store purchases - Michael's has only a few, and while I think Wal-Mart has them, they only have the very basic ones)

This is the "A Cardigan for John [Watson]" from Joanna Johnson's "Sherlock Knits" book. I started it a long time ago - like maybe 2021 - and finished it to this point in late 2022 or early 2023, and then stuck it away and kind of forgot about it, but it will be nice to have it finished. I am trying to work through getting some of the really massive projects (this, the blanket, the British school slipover, maybe eventually the Moon Moth sweater) finished up so I have the small "win" of a finished thing. And if I get it done now, if it ever does cool down (it's supposed to be like 107 F next week), I'll have it to wear; it should work with a couple dresses and skirts I have.

The color is "Amethyst" - really more of a mauve than what I think of as true amethyst. It's 1824 wool, a long-defunct brand (and more's the pity, it had some interesting colors and was a fairly well-made yarn) that I had originally gotten for a coat-type sweater (so this won't use it all, but I might make myself some mittens with some of the leftovers and maybe see if someone would like a donation of a few remaining balls) 

No comments: