Monday, September 16, 2024

One task finished

 Every fall, we have to do a development plan/personal review. (Every three years we do a big summary of the previous three years). It is kind of a lot of work but I'm at the point where I kind of just keep the previous year's stuff (mostly) and add or change things that have changed. Saturday when I went in to work I wrote most of the narrative; all it lacked were the summaries of the teaching evaluations.

That is my least favorite part. I tend to take the criticism personally - I remember the negative comments even though they are fewer than the positive ones, and I fret when I'm not up close to "5/5" on the averages. 

But this afternoon, I buckled down and did it. Got some nice comments (which I included) from fall, including "this was a hard class but I learned a lot" which is good, because that means that I'm teaching well but also have good rigor.

The spring evaluations - well, two of the classes were very small and there weren't enough responses (this is a perennial problem with the online evaluations, getting people to do it. I sometimes take class time to do it but I just forgot this spring). The third class the scores were low. There were some positive comments, though.  

And now I'm wondering if I just taught worse this spring because I was in pain a lot of the time - I had to use crutches at first, and then the cane for the rest of the semester - I only really got rid of it in May. (I still keep it in my car just in case though I've not needed it). 

Still, I don't like self-evaluation; I can always see where I am lacking.


This weekend I mostly worked on the "Ruggles Reversible Scarf" I'm making out of one of those color-shifting yarns

It had just shifted from green and pink, to green and a pinkish purple, to green and a more blue purple, and then tan and purple:


 This is an older pattern, back from the days of Woolworks online in the late 1990s.. I grabbed the pattern off of the wayback machine (It may also be in the knitlist archives, if they still exist). 

I don't know. I like the patterns that are reminders of the earlier days of knitting for me, when I had first just got back into knitting. 

Also, Knitty (I am a "patron") is doing an issue that has the 20th anniversary of the Clapotis scarf in it. It's amazing - I remember when the magazine started (it is a bit older than 20 years now). I have several Clapotis I have knit over the years, and again, it's in some ways a reminder of an earlier, happier time, when we were still innocent of things like COVID. 

I worked a bit more on the scarf above tonight; I was tempted to start something new - dug out some super bulky weight and a pattern for a "boyfriend style" striped cardigan. I figure even if it's not *great* (the yarn is two shades of sort of a greyish green), it will still be quick and should work like a coat-sweater for some of our cooler days. I might start that tomorrow.

I also did the first set of PT exercises since before i started feeling sick; now I wonder if some of the residual muscle discomfort I had was from *not* doing those. It's mildly annoying that I'm now at the age where I have to do specific, planned (and timeconsuming) stretches in order to avoid having pain; I remember when I was younger sport was something you did where you risked hurting afterward from overexertion.



No comments: