Thursday, April 11, 2024

Thursday evening things

 * So the repair guy never made it in time yesterday. I was kind of put out, but was polite when I called him to say "hey, I have class in a half hour,  I said I could only wait until 9:30" and he suggested I text him after class today and he "might" have time

So I grumbled to myself a bit - now it would be next week before I could arrange for a new washer if that's what it took.

* Anyway, he texted this afternoon: I can be there after class. I wonder if he felt a little bad that he promised me an 8 am appointment and missed it. (I wonder if someone more urgent came up - if so, that's okay. If it was someone more "important," then not so much). 

At any rate: dryer motor's burned out. It would take $500-ish to fix if he could find a motor that would suit (this is a unit that was built in the last century). So I decided: it's time for a new washer/dryer unit. I thanked him and paid the service charge (he was apologetic that he couldn't do anything, but I get it)

Then I ran down to the appliance place. The same guy I talked to was there so I didn't have to mention "he offered me a couple hundred off the unit from the marked price" - he remembered he offered me a deal. So I paid for it plus the pick-up and takeaway. (I'm still going to get some cash and offer to tip the delivery guys; no idea if that's conventional but I feel they're going to have to wrestle it up a set of porch steps and do the hookups and everything). 

I also made the snap judgment to pay for the 5 year extended warranty. I know, I know, there was a joke in the Simpsons once that emphasized Homer's stupidity by him eagerly taking it, but - I've heard too many cases lately of a 2-3 year old appliance just dying, and now I'm covered for five years. 

* It's supposed to arrive Saturday morning, and they're hauling off the old one. I think places like that can get some of the stuff in it recycled. 

* Yesterday was a tough day though. It was humid and cold and rainy and I was HURTING. And I didn't know: did I reinjure myself? did I overdo it on Tuesday afternoon with the workout (my knee kind of clicked in the middle of stretches - not painfully, but any weird sound worries me now). Or was it just the weather?

Also I had Board Meeting, which meant I wasn't really HOME home for the day until nearly 8:00 - I did get home for a bit at 4, to do a bit of piano practice and eat dinner, but then I had to go back out.

Maybe it was the weather; I felt a lot better today and did another workout today so we'll see how I feel tomorrow. At least tomorrow I just have one class. 

* Didn't do much knitting, between being in pain again and the evening meetings. I did add a few rows to Orchard and Vine tonight. I hope I'm going to have enough of the yellow yarn for the last rows of that section.

* I might do my weekend grocery shopping tomorrow afternoon because Saturday morning the washer and dryer are supposed to come between 10 and noon. I dont' LOVE the idea of going grocery shopping on a Friday afternoon (especially given it's mid-month payday). But if the washer and dryer get here and are set up succesfully, then I can do a couple loads of laundry (or maybe i have to stagger them more now, so I'm not constantly running the dryer? I wonder if I did too many loads in succession and that hastened its demise)


1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

Regardless of salary, bad customer service puts me off, sometimes permanently.