Friday, December 01, 2023

It's the weekend

 This week felt like it was about two months long. Part of it was trying to get over the cold I had, part of it was trying to wrap up the semester, part of it was the whole mishegoss of yesterday.

In the end it worked out. I didn't think it was; I was in a very low mood last night, I was thinking about "I wonder if anyone would notice if I didn't show up to work tomorrow and how much trouble I'd be in." Ultimately, the student did make up the exams when it turned out incompletes were not possible, so now it's on them. Yes, it was always on them; they skipped the work in the first place and didn't arrange for timely make ups, but it was just woeful when they kept telling my colleague she needed to accommodate them MORE when she had offered what was literally the best thing she could do at this point but finally after looping several administrators in to the e-mail chain (and regular-ccing them, not blind cc-ing them, so it was clear to the student that they were), things settled down.

At any rate - my beleaguered colleague and I were laughing about stuff in her office by the end of the day, so things did get better. 

But still. I got home later than I really wanted to (nearly 5 pm) though I did finish up all but one of my final exams, and prepped the online quiz for next week, and did a bunch of grading.

But this was a tough week. So I decided to do this:


"A lovely cheese pizza, just for me" (and yes, I always think of that line when I get or make a cheese pizza. And yes, Home Alone was on tonight; I watched most of it but also had to stop to change the sheets on my bed; it had been a couple weeks. Self-care goes out the window when you're busy)

Also, in the exam today, I almost finished the Auraucania mitts, so I did the last couple rounds tonight and bound them off


And here is one of them on

I am going to soon (either tonight or tomorrow) cast on a second pair, in red wool-ease, as a Christmas gift for my mom. I give two exams next week (even before finals) so I should be able to finish them.


But also tomorrow, I am going to Sherman. I need some things from Target, and I want to go to JoAnn's, and I need groceries. Not sure if I will go anywhere else; it's the first of the month in December and I suspect places will be slammed. I'm going to try to leave early - Target opens at 9 and I think JoAnns does too. I'd like to go antiquing but I'm not sure I want to do that at the cost of a totally busy Kroger's or Brookshire's (though maybe Brookshire's, being over in another, smaller, town might have fewer crowds). I'll see how it goes. 

I also need to buy the traditional donate-to-toys-for-tots thing; I know Target has a fairly extensive toy department so there might be something there. 

I'm glad the semester is nearly over, it kind of feels like the wheels started coming off at the end here.


1 comment:

Kelly Sedinger said...

There's definitely something pleasing about a nice cheese pizza once in a while. It's hearty minimalism! (I prefer a few toppings, but I've never been one for the "Super Supreme" thing with five meats and four veggies on the thing.)