Friday, May 12, 2023

Getting the yarn

 I stayed home today, partly to do some prep for traveling. I did the laundry I needed to and put away the stuff I wasn't planning on taking. I have a couple - uh, unmentionables - that need to finish drying before they go in the suitcase, but my t-shirts and trousers and socks and a dress for church are all in there, and the birthday gifts for my mom, and the various patterns I printed off

And I also wound the yarn I needed to wind off. And there was a last-minute substitution for one of the yarns....


The three yarns on the right are for socks - the more purple one is a self-striping (String Theory Colorworks) that also has a little sparkle in it (sort of a tinsel worked into the yarn). The one at the very top is the Static I mentioned before - I can't quite visualize how the color pattern will work out on it, so I'll see. The other is a very pale yellow for a lace sock pattern called Sweet Woodruff. 

The "replacement" yarn is for a shawl from Janina Kallio called Fern Fronds (That's her website - some people have problems with the design of Ravelry now, apparently it's not friendly do certain neurological issues). I have made several of her shawl patterns; I like them. My original plan was to use a very bright pink I had bought at JoAnn's for the shawl, but then I saw the marled KFI yarn - it's about 900 yards there in the two balls, that's what the pattern calls for. I had bought that yarn at the last trip to Stitches N Stuff and had bought it for a small shawl (with no pattern in mind) but I realized that I liked that yarn better for this pattern, and it's also colors that will go with more clothes that I wear than the bright pink would. 

I also picked out a couple books. I will keep reading on "Wives and Daughters," which is really good (I had no idea what an enjoyable writer Gaskill was) but I also have a nice copy of Howard Pyle's "Robin Hood" that I wanted to start, and The Woman who Smashed Codes, which is about cryptgraphy (I started it a long time ago but stalled out partway through - I think it was about the time my dad died and I just couldn't read ANYTHING more complex than mystery novels for a while).

I do need to run over to school tomorrow and retrieve my advanced stats book, and the little hardbound notebook I'm keeping reading notes in, and my pencil case, because I need to work on that when I'm up there.

(But also: if it's not pouring tomorrow I should try to mow the lawn again)

No comments: