Monday, April 17, 2023

A couple finished things

 I got a couple things done over the weekend.

First of all: I'm now caught up (until the next installment arrives) on assembly for the Moominhouse. This bit was the side porch:


It was challenging to put together and is just a tiny bit wonky. All the bits (a top piece, a little spacer, the pole-part, and a bottom bit) all had to be assembled, glued together, and held in place with tiny wood pegs that you had to cut. And the glue supplied, though listed as wood glue, doesn't grab very fast, so you have to brace everything and wait, and I didn't have ideal bracing, so it dried imperfectly.

If I need more glue (there was only one tiny bottle) for future parts of the kit, I might go buy some Aleene's Tacky Glue. I *think* it will work on this lightweight wood (It's not balsa, some kind of pressed board)

I also got the little "ceramic" stove assembled (really: plastic).

And here are as much of the "family" (well, Snufkin and Little My are friends-of-the-family) as have arrived:

Moominpappa doesn't want to stand up so I have him stuck to the porch with a piece of double stick tape. 

I will have to find a safe place to store these while I wait for more of the kit to arrive; I don't want to store the porch somewhere where it will get knocked over and break.

I also finished the current quilt top:

The pattern is called Basket Case, and it's designed for a jelly roll. I had an old Aneela Hoey "Little Apples" roll I found when I cleaned my sewing room over the summer but the white-background pieces had yellowed unevenly and even washing them didn't fix it (I might still use them eventually for the binding). So I found coordinating fabrics in my stash to replace the spoiled ones

The pink and blue scarf-print is scraps from another Hoey line, and the D'nealian script is one I had in my stash, and the one with the diamonds.

The pink-background ticket print, and the tiny Scotties are also fabrics I added, as is the one with tiny macarons you can see in the lower right.


No comments: