Saturday, September 24, 2022

One little thing

 I did go in today, did two hours of concentrated work (using Pomodoros to break it up) on the systematics stuff, mostly thinking about/taking notes on terminology and magnoliopsid structure. Maybe how I do this is becoming a bit more clear. I can probably ignore or just briefly mention families that aren't common here, but focus on the "big ones" (Poaceae, Fabaceae, Asteraceae, Fagaceae, Juglandaceae, among others) but I also need to do a section on herbarium specimen preparation* and using keys and probably plant evolution in a broad sense

(* the previous person dumped this, complaining "the students don't do it right" but I'd rather them have at least some exposure to it and maybe need more PRACTICE than not do it at all. I hate to say it but I think my former colleague got lazy and burned out in a specific way towards the end. I mean, yeah, I'm teetering on burnout too, but I still feel driven to do a "good job" of things and not just sort of half-@$$ it and say "good enough")

But then I came home (my hand was cramping up from note taking, and I ordered some soft pencil grips like the ones I used back in grade school - I've had either muscular or motor-neuron issues for a long time)

And I realized:: well, I could do one little task that would feel good, by putting up the house numbers

I had thought about "better go buy some doublestick tape" but I decided meh, I didn't want to make another trip out and then I remembered the leftover painters tape I had

So I was able to try out arrangements

I decided on the slightly-idiosyncratic diagonal arrangement. I remember a lot of the older houses where I grew up having this, and the neighbor to the north has them vertical, and the neighbor to the south has them horizontal....so I wanted to be different

It was kind of a pain to hammer them in and the 0 wound up a little wonky but then my life is a little wonky, so whatever:


They're not SUPER visible from the street, but they're visible. And if I trimmed the abelia back a little bit they'd be more visible

Maybe at night, with the porch light shining on them, they will show up more.

As I said, I'd originally planned to do some ritzy artistic thing but this feels right - someone, a long time ago, bought these, and then never used them, and now I've found them, and they're getting to fulfill their destiny. 

I also unloaded the two boxes of fabric I brought home on Thursday. (I didn't get any Friday; no time. But maybe Monday I can grab a couple on the way home). I found six or eight fat quarters of a "classic Pooh" (Shepherd illustrations, not Disney) line I bought ages and ages ago - long before my niece was even conceived but I think I bought them with half a thought of "what if I ever need a baby quilt for my brother and sister in law?" but then I did something totally different when that time came. So I'll probably never use them but if one of you readers who quilts would like them, I could pop them in a puffy envelope. If not, maybe when I gather up all the fabric to donate they can go there. These are all folded up - they were sold in little packets - and are two coordinating sets.



No comments: