Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Walleye is done

 No, not my dinner! (Though that's my main encounter with walleyes previous to this)

I decided to try out the crocheted walleye pattern from Voyageurs National Park (!). No gauge or yarn size is specified, so I decided to go with a super bulky (CYC designation 6). I used Wool-ease Thick and Quick and it took *just over* one ball (I do not think you could manage with one, I needed the second ball to complete the very end of the body and then do all the fins and the tail).

I used a size L (8mm) crochet hook; possibly with a less-splitty yarn a smaller hook would work. My one complaint about the Thick and Quick for crocheting is that it splits like whoa, especially when you are navigating the fins - which get crocheted on to the body, so you're maneuvering in already-crocheted stitches, and it can get tight.

The fish came out about 18" long, and would work as a lumbar pillow, I think. (It's HOT here tonight - right now it's 76 F in my house - so cuddling something that's partly wool seems less appealing right now).


Anyway. The fish (which I have named Wally because really, what else can you name him?) is not very photogenic; he looks better in person.


I did decide to put in lock-washer eyes so Wally wouldn't be a fsh. (Sorry, bad joke - "what do you call a fish with no eyes? Fsh.")


The colors might not be true to a real walleye, but then I realized I've never seen one in person with its scales still on.


The pattern isn't hard, (though the fins are kind of a pain and if I were making another one of these I might crochet them separately, on a base-chain, and then sew them on) but the directions are kind of bare bones - like, it tells you to put markers in at one point but never what they are FOR. (It might be fore the pectoral fins but they seemed too far forward. Maybe for eyes that were never later mentioned and the finished fish in the picture doesn't have eyes.

I had thought of doing a second one of these as a present for my brother's cats but meh, time grows short and I have something else that will work.

No comments: