Friday, April 16, 2021

Drawing ever closer....

 I realized today it's just over a month now before I go to see my mom.

I admit that even though we've both been vaccinated, and at least here, case counts are way down, I'm still apprehensive. I probably will be apprehensive out in public for at least a while.

I do have a roomette, which is nice, so I can be alone and can close the door. And Amtrak has made a big deal about upgrading their ventilation and supposedly the fresh air turnover is every 5 minutes or so. And it looks like they are currently bringing meals to the rooms instead of having people eat in the diner. And masks are required in the public areas.

It will be....something....to see my mom in person again after almost 18 months. 

I don't know that there will be the ability to get out and do much, but that's okay. I'm already thinking bout what books I will take and what projects I might do. 

Also just the idea of GOING somewhere, of being able to look out the train window and see different scenery, to be able to read a book as the countryside goes by - that's something I have missed a lot. 

***

I stayed over late after my early afternoon class and did as much prep work as I could for next week (updating a couple exams, writing a quiz, updating all the class webpages, grading). All I really *have* to do this weekend is grab some soil for the Monday afternoon lab. Next week will be a bit easier because one class is finished so they won't meet, and the biostats class is doing non parametric tests, which are more familiar to me and are less complex. 

I *had* thought of driving up most of the way to Coalgate - there is an "Amish store" there larger than the small one south of me, but it's 40 minutes away, and it was raining when I got out of class, so I figured it was preferable to get ahead on work. Not sure I want to go tomorrow morning but I could.

Anyway, I "bought" myself time off this weekend by doing the urgent things, which means maybe I can even write a little on my manuscript in the afternoons next week. 

I do want to do some knitting this weekend; I think not doing handcrafts as much has been bad for me.

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

It's all risk assessment. I'm seeing a movie Thursday (MANK)