Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Tuesday grab bag

 * In case you thought you were having a bad day, you didn't have as bad a day as the guy who got his ship stuck in the Suez Canal. (Granted, it is probably not the captain's fault? It sounds like whoever dispatched the ship looked at the size limits and went "eh, those are just advisory" and sent too big of a ship)

The real problem with this is that shipping and importing has been badly messed up for a while, and this is just going to make it worse - a lot of things travel through the canal. I just hope this doesn't lead to food shortages in some nation that can ill-tolerate them. Me getting one of my Doki Doki crates a couple months late is an annoyance, but it's not like not having enough rice available in the grocery or something.

* I finished the Mystery Project, and have to get a box the right size for the various items and send them off. I am HOPING Priority Mail has recovered somewhat and it arrives in good time (And intact. My brother got his birthday card but it was opened and a bit torn and he was afraid I had included a gift card, but I had not - there was just the card in there. But I'm unhappy if that means someone is rifling through the mail again, like happened here a few years ago.)

* So now I'm trying to apply the binding to one of the quilts I have stacked up.

It's a slow process.


* I do want to start something new soon. Louise Tilbrook (whom I follow on Twitter) posted a "recipe" for a very simple corner-to-corner knitted blanket - sort of like those dishcloths, but knitted a LOT bigger. She designed it for dk weight yarn, which the color-shifting Lion Brand Mandala that I am such a sucker for is. My last trip to JoAnn's (my birthday) they had Lion Brand on 25% off (and they seem to be closing out Mandala anyway, probably time for the Next Big Thing) and I bought 750 or so yards (Tilbrook's pattern called for 600 yards). I also think I'll use a bigger needle than she used so that it's a looser weave, like a thermal blanket. I like the idea of it because it's super simple - requiring almost no thought. Although this is starting to be the wrong time of year for working on blankets. 

* I'm trying to slowly increase piano practice time. I would like, this summer, to see if my teacher might still be available and start doing lessons again. At first I didn't want to do them because we are both working in different places, and both would have been at risk of contracting COVID and passing it the other (and doing piano masked would not be fun) but I expect she'll have been vaccinated soon (as a primary school teacher) if she isn't now. But I'm not ready yet, this is a HARD semester and I don't know that I have time. But I'm trying to increase the 20 minutes some days to 40 or 50. And I started on Elgar's "Salut d'Amour," which is a more difficult piece than you'd think (lots of chords where you are using several fingers of both hands, and I can't quite get the fingering right in a few places). But it's a favorite piece of mine, and I'd like to be able to play it.

No comments: