Tuesday, February 09, 2021

New to me

 I did a workout this afternoon (got up about the normal time, but was just TIRED and did not want to, and decided after finding out my appointment was cancelled due to bad weather, I'd just do it this afternoon)

The Pandora rotation I'd been using had got a bit stale, so I punched "discovery" on there - which always means you have to reject stuff (no, I do not want to work out to "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road," thanks Pandora)

but this came across. And it struck me. I'd never heard it before but I immediately liked it. (Freddy Mercury was a genius, but that's pretty well recognized). But it seems a good song for these times, and yes, it's something I've been asking myself lately, given that a lot of the things I used to do that were actually things that HELPED other people and that really meant a lot to me, are not things I've been able to do.


****


Also, huge surprise: campus is closed tomorrow and Thursday because of the chance of inclement weather. We're supposed to get freezing rain and ice but right now it has not started yet. I admit I was surprised - our previous university presidents (who have the authority to call it) usually waited until the MORNING OF and sometimes didn't even call it when they should have (a few years ago a couple people fell in icy lots; one of the librarians really messed up his wrist). 

But hey, I'll take it. I had to read the announcement three times and it did say that "fully online classes will still meet as normal" but NONE of my classes are fully online, so I decided, heck, I just tell the students "okay, you get the day off." In one class they are finishing a writing project so hopefully this gives people a few more hours to polish it (it is due tomorrow at 11:59 pm) and in another class there is an exam online - I told them that was still running as normal BUT IF there were power outages I would make arrangements. (I hope there are not. If our power here goes out I have no way of staying warm other than body heat, not even hot water in a hot water tank because I have a tankless heater)

But maybe we'll get lucky, I'll have a couple extra nice days at home to prep my advanced biostats for the week (well, I could still do that without power - it's reading, and I have an LED camp lantern) and I can do some cooking and some sewing or knitting. 

I honestly don't expect it will be that bad here; I suspect the cancellation was for outlying areas where it will be worst - we are often kind of a warm pocket because of our topography. 

But at any rate - tomorrow was to be a 'rest day' from working out so that means I don't even have to set my alarm, I can sleep as late as I need to.

No comments: