Wednesday, July 01, 2020

One more day

One more day of delivering Meals on Wheels for me. It's supposed to be the hottest day of the year so far and it's exceptionally humid - just for fun, after doing the run yesterday (masked up for about an hour on a pretty hot day, part of which I was in my air conditioned car for) I took my pulse oxygen (I bought a pulse oximeter back in April or so when I was in a mood of "well, we're all gonna get it eventually, and I have to be extra careful I don't totally decompensate before I can call someone because I live alone, though perhaps as someone with lowgrade asthma, it's not so dumb to have one).

My pulse ox was 97%.

This morning, it's 94-95%. Perhaps not statistically significant as a difference but it does tell me humidity plays badly with it.

I also am reminding myself I need to take a different route to the senior center - normally I would drive past the county courthouse, but there's going to be a protest there today, partly focused on the Confederate soldier statue and agitating for its removal*


(*We've been at this place before; in 2016 or 2018 or one of those years, there was a push to do it, but enough people - including some with ancestors who were slaves - said they wanted it to stay. We'll see what happens now. I admit I don't have any attachment to the statue - it's one of those mass-produced in the 1920s zinc ones that is identical to the ones in many towns, and I would not be bothered if the decision was to move it to a museum or private land, or take it away altogether. Granted, I am pretty much a Damn Yankee here; most of my ancestors fought for the Union (the most famous one, apparently, from a Wisconsin regiment). Though also, the fact that it's designed to represent some anonymous farmboy who went to fight and not one of the leaders maybe mitigates things a bit, I don't know. But like I said: I have zero attachment to it and wouldn't be bothered either way.

Also, I feel like right now there are more pressing concerns; this is similar to episodes of "The Golden Girls" being pulled because of one throwaway joke when there are still some real issues with militarization of the police* in many, many places in the country. But we humans are good at doing the simple easy feel-good things instead of the big, hard, complicated things that are more important)

(*And I have friends BOTH to the right and the left of me who have been speaking out against this for some years)

But anyway. It just makes me think....I guess everyone has their role. Some people go out in the heat and chant or request things, whereas I would rather go and do the behind the scenes type of work that always needs to be done (especially now; we had a few extra deliveries yesterday, to people who would normally go to the senior center to eat, but can't now, because of coronavirus concerns)

I just hope the people out protesting stay safe. Not just from viral spread; it's already a dewpoint of 73 F here and we're under a heat warning for today.


Still, I do still feel somewhat lonely and sad and feeling as if my life is slipping away as I sit in my house and read books that low-level make me angry and try to search for more labs online an it seems we're only going backwards in terms of how safe it is for someone like me to go out and about very much. I do need to run to the Pruett's at some point (maybe first thing tomorrow morning), but anything remotely "fun" is off the menu for now.

This is all a giant experiment on some of us - how long can we continue to stay healthy with minimal human contact, how long can we last without fun? I hope it's not years and years longer. Six months I could do; eighteen months I am not so sure about.



ETA: there's a rumor - not supported by the noon news but not denied either - that someone showed up to the courthouse with an AK-47. Going out to the senior center, I took one street north of what I normally would, but I could still see people gathered. One of the women who was working with us said that she heard there was someone there with an AK-47 and if we had to drive through that area, to detour.

I detoured coming home, just to be safe. I tend to be of the "don't be in stupid places" mindset and an angry person with a gun by definition makes a place stupid. But I wish so many places these days WEREN'T stupid.

It was unbearably hot and unpleasant but at least we got our six houses delivered to. Now I have to figure out lunch, despite having no appetite from the heat.

2 comments:

Brickmuppet said...

Good on you doing meals on wheels in this mess. Do stay safe out there though. The heat, the crazy and the Wuhan Bat Soup Death Plague are all things that one should not take lightly.

Anonymous said...

My sister-in-law delivers for Meals on Wheels. I admire both your efforts. I know that in many cases, it can be the only wellness check a senior citizen may get. And there’s been at least a few times here where the driver/delivery person discovered the recipient in distress and basically saved his/her life. Also, I bought a pulse oximeter not too long ago, once I could finally find one. I’ve read enough that I decided it could be a useful tool in dealing with this virus. — Grace