Friday, May 22, 2020

Lookin' out my front door

Apologies to CCR, but this is what I saw getting home from my pick-up trip to the wal-mart today:

007

Fuzzy moth! (The big ones like this, they are not generally pests, at least not how I think of moths being pests - they do not eat fiber nor do they infest grain).

Of course I wanted to know what it was - it's about an inch long. I didn't think to try to open the wings, I didn't want to disturb it, so I looked up online here. It's closest to 26,  which isn't identified to species but is the genus for Io moths. And Io moths are found in Oklahoma. (The caterpillars are what are known as polyphagous, meaning they will feed on many different species (mostly trees). They also have a venomous sting, which is a little unsettling to learn.

I have a pecan (which is fundamentally a hickory) and also an elm and a redbud, so the caterpillars could feed on any of those. I don't know if this is a recently-emerged adult or one looking for a place to lay eggs. (I *think* it might be male; the photos of female Io moths suggest they are darker in color).

When I went out to get my mail, I decided to try to persuade him to open his wings - the worst outcome being, he flies away. But it's chilly today and so he's a little sluggish, so it worked:

Io moth

Yup. Io moth.

Once in a while we get a few interesting critters around. I think I especially do in my yard because I don't spray and I tend to leave many of the "weeds" (unlike some people, I don't spray my lawn - about this time of year the St. Augustine starts crowding out the early-season weeds anyway, so I don't see much purpose in it). 

1 comment:

Roger Owen Green said...

quoting CCR is always approved