Monday, January 27, 2020

In the mail

My friend Anjeannette (Purlewe) and I do an annual small-gift exchange every January. I sent her box off on Friday and hopefully she gets it tomorrow. I got hers today.

The first thing I saw in it was a Stricta x ixoides air plant. I'd been wanting to get at least one of these for a while (I am considering getting more and just having a little group of these somewhere, on a windowsill or something. I'll just have to remember the weekly soak - my mom has one she gives a 15 minute soak to every week)

I grabbed one of the little glass pots that that mousse I like came in, and put a handful of polished and dyed rocks I had in it to hold it:





The Groot head (see next photo) would also work as a planter for it but I'm considering taking that over to my office to hold pencils.







































Sockyarn (I have a fairly new lace pattern I might want to use this for), the aforementioned Groot head, a tin of little markers, some fancy pencils (and an eraser). The leather item is a cuff for holding the ends of a triangular shawl in place but I find it also fits my wrist like a cuff-type bracelet.

AND a  linen-stitch (I think that's the stitch) shawlette out of a Two Irish Girls yarn.

I really like all of it - I always need more stitch markers, and yarn is always welcome. And Groot makes me smile.

And I really like having an air plant of my own now.

***

Also, the new Interweave came. Immediately two sweaters in it I like: the Castile cardigan (sort of a stitch-sampler in worsted-weight wool, and I might dig around in my stash and see if there's anything I might want to "repurpose" for this - I have lots of yarn I bought ages ago and then decided I didn't want to make the planned sweater out of it. Other option would be to look for something affordable at Quixotic Fibers, but I'm pretty sure I have something that I might want for this on hand already). And also the Sandness cardigan, which uses the Shetland Spindrift (so: fingering weight) yarn. I have lots of fingering weight on hand....or maybe I consider looking around for a source for the Spindrift at some point and just pick a color I want - or I tell my mother what it would cost and have her send me a check for it for my birthday present this year. (It's easier for me to manage stuff like that since she doesn't have internet access).

***

No message from my doctor's office - they said they would call Monday if the doctor issued "orders" for me to get the ultrasound, so I am hopeful this means she's decided on the basis of the bloodwork, it is unnecessary. Because that means four good things for me:

1. (most importantly) she's convinced nothing is actually wrong with me
2. I do not have to subject to what would be, for me, an uncomfortable and somewhat mortifying ordeal.
3. Don't have to worry about scheduling it (though even if I still did, it seems like it would be less urgent now)
4. Won't have the additional co-pay/facility fees: it's January, our health insurance just rolled over, so I am very far from meeting my deductible yet.

Mainly, though, #1: it looks like what I am going to get is the absolute best possible news in this (that everything is normal and I was merely mistaken about the menopause thing) and that's HUGE. I can tell my mood was better today, my concentration was better, my enthusiasm was better. 




2 comments:

anita said...

My go-to for Shetland yarn is Schoolhouse Press in Wisconsin, run by Elizabeth Zimmermann's daughter Meg Swansen and her son Cully. They may not have ALL the Spindrift colors, but they have a big bunch of them. They ship quickly, too, and they also have all of Elizabeth's books plus an interesting selection of others.

purlewe said...

It is the linen stitch! The pattern is called Grotine. The yarn color is "Ewe Keep Us in Stitches" but I like to think of it as "pony lite"