Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Can be shown!

I said I'd post pictures of the Sooper Seekrit Project as soon as the recipient got it, and she did today (and even posted a photo of herself wearing it on Twitter.

I knit the Beeswax hat (pattern for sale on Ravelry) for my friend Anj for our swap boxes.

beeswax hat

I had bought the pattern and it was in my library and I was trying to figure out what to make for her, and scrolled through my hats, and found this one. And it made me think of her (she is interested in bees and likes colors like yellow and orange) and it seemed to be the best choice. I ordered a yarn from Loopy Ewe for it and knit it this month, and sent it off last week.

It was a pretty fast knit once you figured out how the cabled pattern worked. I got most of it done while watching "Howl's Moving Castle" the other weekend.

Here's a detail of the stitchwork:

hat detail

I also took Groot to work (I joked it's Take Your Groot To Work day)

Groot at work

I trust my colleagues and I doubt we'd have a light-fingered mystery person again (like we did a couple years back: someone stole a key and got into the building and broke into faculty offices. I lost a brand-new textbook but one of my colleagues lost $300 cash he had had in a lockbox....fortunately he eventually got the box back; it had letters from his long-deceased father in it and he really was afraid the thief had just thrown them out)

And this li'l dude. An impulse Amazon purchase Sunday after I got the good health news and thought I wanted a treat:

marshmallow dude

He (? I guess) is a "Marshfellow," apparently a character from a new kid's book. But I need a better name for him. I don't like Malva (which is the genus name, or used to be, for the marsh mallow plant) or some variant of Stay Puft (and he doesn't look like the Stay Puft man, anyway). Not sure about Fluff, like Marshmallow Fluff, but that might work. I would like a punny name but am coming up a little dry. Squish? Maybe. I'll have to think more on it.

Added: There's a US brand of marshmallows called Dandies, so Dandy would be a possibility. But there's also a British sweet called Flumps and I admit I kind of like the name "Flump" for him.

Advanced Biostats went pretty well today but I had super over prepared. I only got through half the material so all I really need to do for next week is to (a) review how to do two-factor ANOVAS in SPSS and find or make up a data set for the students to test....I might be able to do much of that tomorrow morning (thus: buying myself time on Saturday to go have fun)

Still no message from doctor's so I assume this means she figures an ultrasound is unnecessary, which makes me happy. 

1 comment:

purlewe said...

I LOVE MY HAT!!! I wore it until I got home from knitting last night. Everyone there commented on what a nice hat it was too. I really enjoy it.

I also took my Groot to work. It cheers me up immensely and has made quite a few coworkers laugh.