Saturday, June 15, 2019

a blessed life

I guess I do, in a way, lead one.

Today was the meeting with the Jackson-Hewitt representative who would hopefully sort out the IRS mess with me. Going in, I expected that at least they'd eat the penalty and interest - as it was their mistake - and I'd "only" be on the hook for the actual underpayment, or, if things went slightly better, I'd have a smaller underpayment than the IRS originally claimed.

And yes. One way in which my life is blessed, lucky, or privileged (you choose which) is that even IF I had to pay the full amount, it wouldn't break me. It would bend me, yes, and I'd have to live with a greater degree of frugality than that to which I am accustomed for five or ten years to build the savings account back up* - but it wouldn't break me; I'd still have my house and I'd still be able to eat and pay my medical co-pays and keep the lights on and water running.

(*I also remember from the early, early days of my saving - when my parents set up an account for me for "grandparent birthday money" and the like, when you used to get 4% interest. And yeah, the 1970s were terrible in a lot of ways, but I now look at the quarter-percent or whatever it is I get, and go "what happened?" And say what you will about inflation: actual inflation now - the rise in prices of food and other items that sometimes get conveniently left out of the "official" calculations - IS greater than the rate of interest. I don't know if it's a greater discrepancy now than in the 1970s. But it feels like more of an insult to me now, because I'm an adult who was taught to be responsible and put money aside to save it instead of spending, and when I see prices creeping up and my bank account really NOT creeping up, I wonder: am I total chump for denying myself things I want but that aren't really necessary?)

But anyway. I had gotten an appointment, in Denison (so: easily driveable and a place I know). So I went down there this morning, also realizing that I was fortunate to get a Saturday appointment with someone (who is presumably giving up her Saturday - but presumably also is getting paid for it by Corporate).

She looked over what I had. Said "aha, the person who did this before mis-classified these two things, this thing is NOT a K-1, it's a regular investment, so the cost basis matters" and she did some more calculations (apparently the person also messed up the "foreign taxes paid" - I have a few investments based in the UK.

So I figured: well, I won't owe multiple thousands at this point.

She kept working, then checked (and double-checked) what she had done. Asked me a few questions.

And as it turns out - if she did it right** the IRS owes me a few hundred dollars.

(**Yes, I am a pessimist, but I'm wondering: okay, the first person screwed it up, BUT THEN the IRS screwed it up in a different way, they didn't recognize the original error, and they came up with that enormous number of underpayment?  I don't know. I want to trust that this is fixed and I'm actually ahead but....like I said, I'm a pessimist, and I expect another letter from the IRS. Though I guess if that happens, Jackson-Hewitt will have to take care of it again).

She didn't charge me the usual $80 for an amended return, noting it had been their mistake in the first place. I just have to FAX the stuff to the IRS Monday morning and then call them to be sure they received it. (And she suggested writing my SS number on each page so no pages get lost. That's probably  good idea, though I admit I worry about having my SS number out there....though then again, it's the IRS, if someone wanted to take it and commit fraud they could get it)

So I don't know. Like I said, I tend to be a pessimist about these things and wait for that other shoe to hit the floor, but maybe, maybe this time I win.

I know that spiritual matters don't work this way, but I almost imagine some angel or some saint looking down at me and going "You know? She's had a lot of bad little stuff happen in the past few weeks, maybe I fix this one up with the Big Guy so it works out in her favor." Or maybe, just maybe, though the concept of Karma really doesn't work like this, maybe once in a while, the person who tries to love their neighbor and do what's right and be responsible and be kind and not be too demanding and all that stuff, well, maybe once in a while when it looks like life is going to poop on them, it works out that life actually doesn't. I don't know. Maybe I'll feel more that way after FAXing the thing in and being as done as I can be with it for now. I'll definitely feel more that way if I get the letter saying "your amended return has been accepted" and that money shows up in my checking account.

I hope it works out, though. And I've done as much with it as I can.

Now I need to close this up and do some laundry and clean the house...


Edited to add: Dining room is done, living room is part-done, first load of laundry is in. And I'm putting away some of my purchases. (Well, this one will go in with the load of light colored things)

Here's my Five Below purchase for the day:






Also new little friendo, which I "rescued" off the floor after some kid had tornadoed through the stuffed-animal display and I bought her (she was the only one of her kind left, and I had seen a version of this when I was at Michael's with my mom, kind of wanted it, but felt vaguely embarrassed buying something so silly in front of her):

She has very, very similar colors to Sandbar (one of the Student Six on MLP:FiM) and so I am headcanoning that she is Sandbar's cousin, and I am naming her Sandbur, because a couple times I slipped and referred to HIM as Sandbur, because sandburs are much more a part of my life these days than sandbars are. (Her official name is Topaz...I guess because of the blue eyes though when I think "topaz" the first color I think of is sort of an orange, which is one of the variants. And I also think of Sir Topas from Twelfth Night, and that doesn't fit either....so another name is in order)


 Yes, a sandbur is an unpleasant, invasive grass, with fruits that will ruin pantyhose and catch in your socks and hurt you, but the name amuses me - so Sandbur it is.







No comments: