Sunday, May 12, 2019

Finished a thing

I finished the quilt top - I am calling it "Nine and Four Patch" but I know the book I got it out of ("Charm School") used a different name for it.

It's made with three charm packs (not all the pieces were used). I think the line was called Twig and Leaf, I bought them last August and finally used them....I had originally planned on a pink as the background fabric but I am very glad I went with white instead, I like it a lot better.

The black fabric is the "additional fabric" you use as an alternator; it's a William Morris-inspired print:

nine and four patch quilt

It's a very large quilt (89" square) so I tried hanging it up on the fence instead of pinning it on the clothesline (which needs to be restretched somehow anyway: it's wire, and when I let a guy working on my neighbor's plumbing in her back yard take down a section of the fence (long story) to be able to move his Bobcat around more easily, he knocked some of the wires down and never redid them, and I didn't notice until he was long gone. I can probably figure it out myself, I just need to grab some of my tools and do it.

Even with having trimmed some branches back it's hard to get a good photo late in the day, but here are a couple of close ups showing some of the charm-pack fabrics and the black "alternator" fabric.

close up pink

close up feathers

The backing, which I bought Friday, is the fabric in the back. The colors go....pretty well. You're limited in choices of the wide backing fabrics and this was the best one (I didn't really want just plain white)

fabric


Other than that, I mowed the lawn and did some more trimming (just branches this time, I'm not sure I can add much more to the giant pile of brush that has grown around my mailbox. They were SUPPOSED to pick it up on the 1st but they did not.)

I have to wash my hair now, and figure out something for dinner.

I did call my mom earlier; she liked the gift I sent her (an assortment of fancy pencils, notepads, post-it notes, and a small pouch to hold them - my mother is very practical so practical gifts are best). But now, the late-Sunday-afternoon lonelies have set in. (This often happens to me. It's not so much a "back to work tomorrow, ugh" thing as just a....sort of let down feeling. I'm sure it's being out of a schedule for a couple days; I do not do well with being idle for any length of time).

What I probably *should* do once I figure out dinner (maybe it will be sauteed spinach; I need to use up some of the baby spinach I have) and wash my hair is to just set up with "The Three Musketeers" and do a bunch of reading, I don't know. When I was in grad school one of the ways I dealt with that Sunday afternoon feeling* was to read something "for fun"

(*Though it was less then because I lived with my parents at the time and so there was someone around. I think the problem for me is that this is typically the point where I've been alone for the longest, being at church notwithstanding)

In re: Sunday Night Lonelies....this helps, but only a little.




1 comment:

Lynn said...

I like the backing. I think it's perfect for that quilt.