Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Happy Unicorn Day

The Twitters informs me that today is #NationalUnicornDay

I don't know what that all entails, but I will say it's nearly 7 pm and no unicorn has appeared in my garden, so I guess I was insufficiently pure of heart this year, so the Great Unicorn has skipped over my place yet again.

(Or is it sincerity you have to have for the Great Unicorn to bless you? I get him and the Great Pumpkin mixed up).

But yes, I do have numerous unicorns in toy form. Here are some of them lined up (all G1 except for Trixie, my newest G4 purchase)

unicorn group 2

Left to right: Moondancer (repro G1 - purchased very recently, Basic Fun product), Dark purple in the back is deflocked "So Soft" Twist*, then Baby Welliboot, then Trixie, then Powder and twice-as-fancy Milky Way.

(*The flocked ponies - So Soft - generally aged badly. Flocking does not keep well and when it gets dirty there is no way to clean it, so....some collectors/sellers have taken to removing the flock from the So-Softs that have ugly worn flock....and it turns out there's a nice, vibrant pony under there. I've never tried deflocking, it sounds messy - I bought my Twist already deflocked from "Ponies in the Sun" on Etsy, and I paid a bit more but she did the labor of deflocking)

The twice-as-fancies (which now, I'm laughing, because my brain went to "Fancy AF" and yeah, that F is shorthand for a Bad Word, but "af" is Internet slang now) are one of my favorite lines of the old My Little Ponies - I have several - Sweetberry and Up,Up, and Away and Pillow Talk (all "Earth ponies" despite Up Up and Away's name) and Milky Way (unicorn) and Dancing Butterflies and also Waverunner (pegasus). Waverunner has the added fun feature of colorchanging hair - out in the sun, her white streaks go  purple (if I remember rightly).

(And yes, I have a couple more on my "want" list but some - like Night Glider - are kind of "grail ponies" because EVERYONE wants them and they are hard to find. Bonnie Bonnets is another but sometimes you see her, just not for a reasonable price)

And I was wondering if some of the old gimmicks would be revived ever in G4, and while most were not (no twinkle-eyes), Trixie here is arguably a Twice As Fancy. When I saw her I had to get her:

TAF unicorns

You can also see the size difference between G1 and G4. Trixie isn't really any bigger than a G1 baby pony. (I'd make some kind of evolutionary-biology joke - for example, sometimes island species evolve to be smaller than their mainland counterparts because of limited resources - but I know it's really just "plastic is more expensive to make now")

And I still have Sugarplum:


No comments: