Saturday, October 13, 2018

"Treat yo' Self"

According to the Out Of Context Parks and Rec* twitter feed, today is Treat Yo' Self day

(*And yes, sometime I will get back to watching it through on Amazon Prime. Maybe even this weekend as I'm feeling less upset and jangled right now, where slightly uncomfortable humor in those types of shows is even too uncomfortable for me)

Yes, this is a thing, and in some areas of Social Media it's been roundly thrashed as self-indulgent and People Spending Money They Don't Have.

And while I'd *like* to go out and do something fun....well, it's supposed to rain 3" here today, and we've probably already had a half-inch, and it's Homecoming, so traffic will be bad, and I'd just rather stay in.

I do have a couple things already on the way - as mentioned, Toothless and Cony. (I suppose either COULD come today; the tracking info on Toothless said Monday but it also said yesterday it was in transit to my town....) So that would be a treat. And I ordered a book of shawl designs based on micrographs of plant anatomical features, but that won't be here until Monday...

Though I think maybe my "treat" will be

a. Making either a small cake from ingredients I have on hand, or mixing up the brownies (Ghirardelli triple-chocolate) that I bought in case they were needed for the reception last week

b. Making the casserole form of cheesy grits, maybe for dinner.(They take an hour to bake).

(Though, oh darnit - they take the same size pan as the brownies would, and I only have one pan that size. Hm. I wonder if I could do the brownies in my pie pan instead....or maybe do the grits in there.)

I also plan to take a little relaxation time today - next piano lesson isn't for two weeks (next week is the local schools' mid-fall break so my teacher will be gone. And yes, I am wondering how the public school STILL gets a week off for mid-fall break AND a week at Thanksgiving, and they had to take away OUR mid-fall break for a week-long Thanksgiving break, but whatever). So I can do a *little* less practice than typical (I think 40 minutes instead of 60) and that also means more time to knit - I pulled out Anaheim last night and started back up on it again.

It's cold and rainy out. My house is currently at 69 degrees and I am thinking about either (a) putting the heat on (better change the filter first if I do that) or running over to my office to grab the space heater/fan combo I have over there. (Though in the long run: gas is cheaper than electricity, so I'd be ahead putting the furnace on to warm it up a degree or two, I think). I'm in a sweatshirt and big fluffy socks and flannel pants, so it's not like I'm too lightly dressed. I don't know. I could also just grab a blanket - I admit I'm not up for the burnt-dust smell you always get when you first activate the heater.

I'll have to do it eventually; **highs** are supposed to be in the 40s on Monday (I guess I dig out my tights and wear my heavy knit dress to work) and I think I cannot keep the house warm enough with that. Maybe better to get the burnt-dust smell out when it's conceivably warm enough to open a window....

I also redressed my Barbies in fallish clothes - longer sleeves and jackets on a couple of them.

and I have a face mask to use, and some supposedly callus-softening one-use booties, so I may do that to try to fix my feet a little more. And maybe take a hot bath before bed tonight....

No comments: