Sunday, October 21, 2018

Changing it out

I had put Pacifica "Stardust Memories" (which is supposed to be a light gray with sparkles) on my fingernails Thursday night but I think I'm gonna remove it and replace it with "Hey Girl, Hey" (which is just a clear with v. small holographic glitter) because the polish looks blue to me and it bugs me:

\Yeah. I once said I "couldn't do" blue nails and I think I stand by that. (Or green, for that matter).

It looked OK with what I wore to church - a white blouse and a faded-denim skirt and one of my big pieces of turquoise jewelry (Yes, Navajo-artist made, in case you were wondering). A couple people said I looked "cute" which surprised me as the skirt is v. old and the blouse isn't that new either, and the whole ensemble was kind of plain. But whatever.

I did wind up serving at the table; one of the people scheduled for today was just absent. Two of our number will be off most of November (one for surgery, one for....hunting season) and I will be at the table a lot then so I admit I was slightly nettled that I had to today. I came up with a prayer on short notice but I know there will be a day when I cannot, and...well, I hope people are at least forgiving.

Sometimes things just feel a little....unreciprocal to me, you know? I get that I have the relative "privilege" of good health and a job that doesn't make me work on Sundays and all, but....I do get tired of being called on a lot.

Mike did notice, I think - he hugged me this morning (a bit more tightly than in recent weeks) and whispered in my ear "Thank you for everything you do" so yeah, but...I wish there were more people willing to step up. (And I do need to note that Mike IS one of the people who is willing to "step up" and carry a bigger burden of volunteer work)

I need to change out the polish and work more on the current project (I pulled out the superbulky-weight moss stitch scarf, on the grounds that I needed to finish it SOMETIME) and maybe wind off some yarn for future projects and I should probably do the dvd workout once my lunch settles a bit more....

Back to work (and grading, especially grading) tomorrow.


Edited to add:

Yeah, this is better. This looks more like me:





heh. It looks kind of like Christmas glitter and now I remember, when I was at JoAnn's on Friday, they had one aisle where the left half was all Halloween stuff and the right half was all Christmas stuff and I thought to myself "This is where, if you had a cell phone camera, you'd take a photo and tag it "The Great Divide""

(Because people seem to either go all-out for Halloween or Christmas. I admit I am unabashedly #TeamChristmas (The most I do for Halloween is put up a couple of orange things and hand out candy if there are trick or treaters).)

I do wish Pacifica made some kind of a pink topcoat that was a bit more strongly colored than Unicorn Horn, but that wasn't an "insipid" pink (there is one - called Daydreamer or some such - but it's too pale and always looks uneven) that I could use. I do prefer a topcoat-like thing as it doesn't show so much if it gets chipped, and given how much I have to use my hands at work, it WILL get chipped.

(I do think nail polish is partly a signifier of "I don't have to do hard manual work")

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I have a silver metallic nail polish - no color at all, just silver - that I really like but that's about as weird as I get with color on my nails. I love nail polish but I don't wear it often anymore. I'm too impatient to sit and not touch anything for five minutes while it dries. And often I will think it's completely dry because it's been 30 freaking minutes but I will lightly brush against something and mess it up so I always feel like I have to be so careful for such a long time. And the fast dry ones don't seem to be much better.