Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Taking some solace.

It's been a challenging few days.

Oh, my dad is doing better and better, and the expectation is he will return home - possibly after a stay at a pretty good rehab center to get him built back up (really I would like to hear of him getting better able to support his own weight and also get some breathing exercises), but things are better.

I did let a few things drop at work, though:

- didn't try to get an alternate scholarship recipient to replace the one who graduated (not the end of the world, I am telling myself)

- forgot to link the online-homework-website to my class CMS page, which caused some consternation among the students, but I did that today, and anyway, at least half of them won't have the online code yet anyway.

And stuff in the larger world. I've been reading, with dismay, the bizarre saga of a NYU prof who apparently had an affair (? I guess you'd call it that though she states she is a lesbian, and he is gay, so...maybe an emotional affair but not sex? Human relationships confuse me.) She treated him very badly and very strangely and he is now suing her and I admit I feel even more sympathy now for the honest, good, kindly priests who would rather stab themselves in the heart than hurt a child, and how they feel over this whole scandal in the Catholic church.

I'm angry, even though I know I'm not her, and I feel betrayed, and I feel like "Great, you just gave those who hate higher ed even MORE ammunition" and I admit some days I look at the state of things and go "Shut it down. Shut it all down, we can sort it out later, but it needs a hard reset" and by that I mean every university in the nation, even though that would mean I get thrown out of a job.

I don't know. I guess this is kinda like the reason why people leave a church claiming "it's full of hypocrites" - it's a similar feeling. (Oddly enough, in church, I can feel like "well, at least you can say it's a hospital for sinners not a museum for saints" and somehow be more forgiving of the silliness some of my fellow congregants get up to. But most of that is not Advanced Silliness where a vulnerable person gets hurt....)

So yeah. Feeling a little frayed at the moment.

But there are things I take odd solace in. (Perhaps indeed, like Mordecai Tremaine, I still have a childish imagination, and when I read of the strange affairs other grown-ups seem to get up to, I feel all the more unsuited to trying to be in a relationship)

Like all the dolls:


all the dolls

(And oh dear, it looks like Hermione is sticking her wand up Sam's nose, but that's just the funny perspective there - she's actually leaning a bit forward but the angle of the photo flattens things out)

I changed some of their clothes again, and Gabby is holding my Baby Lucky because he matched her dress, and it seems like she has a history of liking being around Ponies

I dunno. I acknowledge it's a stupid sort of thing, but when I'm slightly sad, picking out new outfits (and shoes, and jewelry, and purses) for them cheers me up a little.


And also, "A thing, with a smaller thing just like it, is automatically cute:"

Snuzzle and Snuzzle, Jr.

Snuzzle, with "Snuzzle, Jr." - the last time I was at the bookstore in Sherman I bought *one more* of those blindbag "Loyal Subjects" ponies and I was all "I'll probably get a repeat of one I have" (which is not a small thing, these are rather pricey) but nope! I got Snuzzle, the one of the remaining ones I wanted MOST (well, of the ones I had even a slight chance of getting).


And I wore a new dress today. This was one I made back in May and I admit I never photographed it - this is actually the first time I wore it - and I'm afraid I don't have the energy now for a full length posed photo (also bell choir is in a bit, and I have to finish dinner and go) but here's a preview

And yes, it has pockets:

Unfortunately, I may have been a bit heavier back in May? Anyway, this feels loose on me now.

And my Wacky Woolies mug, a purchase all the way back from my first-ever trip to Quixotic Fibers:




I tend to get very attached to things like mugs.

No comments: