Monday, January 15, 2018

Small specific pleasures

(Something less horrifying to contemplate than the previous post).

I think a large part of happiness in life comes from noting the small things - some of them things that might happen regularly, but others being things that are uncommon and therefore more special - and enjoying them. Big happy things (what I've called "Christmas morning moments") are rare - things like getting to see a far-away friend, or falling in love, or getting a new car. But there are littler happy things you can recognize and enjoy. Some of these are very specific to me/to people who have my particular hobbies (see #2) but others might be more general

(I may add to this list over the next days as I think of things):

1. Getting into bed on a Friday night when you do not need to do anything the next day, and so you need not set your alarm clock.

2. Finding just-the-right pattern for a yarn (or for quilt fabric) that you've been saving up, and knowing it is the right one. (This happened to me this week: I bought the new "1990s throwback patterns" KnitScene and the Fullerton Cardigan - a plain, dropped-sleeve, v-neck cardigan - which is just what I was thinking of for two big skeins (760 yards each!) of James Brett aran tweed yarn I bought back in July).

3. Or, finding just the right fabric to go in with a quilt you're making.

4. Changing the sheets on the bed on the same night that I wash my hair and have new clean pajamas

5. Cooking something that is easy but really good.

6. Getting something you ordered in the mail. (Part of the reason I buy so much stuff mail-order is that it's just nice to come home and find not-a-bill in the mailbox)

7. When stuff starts flowering in the spring. (I mean pretty flowers, like daffodils or redbud. Not the wind-pollinated tree flowers that make my allergies bad)

8. Having some kind of a little nightlight or something that requires little enough power that you can leave it on when you go out in the evening so there's a little light on when you come home (this is probably only applicable to live-alones)

9. Good quality books, especially ones that have illustrations in them.

10. Finding some kind of product (whether shampoo, or "store" bread, or a pen) that works for you AND is easily obtainable locally.

11. Having a warm buckwheat bag (or hot water bottle) to put down where your feet go in bed on a cold night.

No comments: