Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Good and bad

The good: I got my final rosters for all my classes (add period is over). The person who gave me a pain in a place I can't locate has dropped my class.

The not-so-good: I seem to have tweaked my left shoulder somehow. It hurts considerably, or it did both yesterday morning and this morning when I got up. And it's stiff. Exercising it helps some, and the ibuprofen I gave in and took this morning helped a lot.

I'm guessing it's some kind of arthritis; that's the elbow I broke more than 20 years ago now, and that's also the shoulder that took most of the impact when I stepped off my porch and fell two years ago. At the time I didn't think I had overly damaged anything but I suppose it's possibly I mildly broke my collarbone or something. I'm hoping this pain goes away on its own. It's not intolerable but it's annoying and it makes doing some things more difficult (zipping up my dress - a back zip - yesterday was more of a challenge)

If it doesn't get better on its own in a few days (or when this (expletive deleted) humidity goes down), I'll go to the doctor and see if she can refer me to someone who can teach me exercises for it. I'd MUCH rather do exercises to cope with the pain than take yet another med, and from what I've seen of other people with arthritis, exercises seem to be at least as effective as medication.

It's worst when I get up, I suppose from sleeping with it in one position or something. I can also periodically feel (and kind of hear) the shoulder "pop" or "click," which makes me worry about shoulder separations or dislocations, but I think that would cause a lot more pain and loss of function, no?

(It's possibly bursitis. It feels a bit like the bursitis I got in my hip. The good news is there are simple exercises you can do to fix that kind of bursitis, or, if it's rotator-cuff-associated pain. I don't think it's a BAD injury to the rotator cuff; I can still move my arm through the full range, it just hurts. And the hurt gets less after I've moved it.)

No comments: