Wednesday, October 02, 2013

things in perspective

It's hard right now for me to think about the govt. shutdown or even deal with all the back-and-forth about it.

They've determined my friend has cancer, and she's being moved to a higher-level hospital to deal with it. I can't tell whether this is a hopeful, "We think we can get rid of it here" or a last-ditch, Hail Mary kind of thing. (She seemed so well just recently....)

They're asking for continued prayers, but you know? I'm kind of getting almost a little prayed out. I know it's awful to say that but I've been so concerned about her for so long that I lack a lot of energy in that area any more.

(I deal very badly with uncertainty. The times in my life when I've been what might best be described as "ugly" to people I cared about was when there was a lot of serious uncertainty, like when someone I care about is in the hospital and I don't know if they're going to make it. I can almost deal better with the certainty and sadness that someone I love is going to die soon than with being jerked back and forth between hope and sadness and never really knowing what's going on.)

I will say it also makes me want to punch some hyperbolic politicians and hyperbolic commentators in the face, because of hyperbole.

(Comments are off on this one. Just because I don't have the energy to possibly deal with trolls trolling about the shutdown. Not that it's likely a troll would find my site all that easily if they were looking for blogs mentioning "shutdown" to troll, and I am reasonably secure all my regular readers would respect my desire not to enter a discussion about the whole mess....but still. Kind of out of energy here.)