Sunday, August 25, 2013

One of two

I finished the first Fishtail Armwarmer this weekend:

fishtail mitt 1

The yarn is Phydeaux' merino and silk blend. I think the color name is Pumpkin Spice, or something like that. (Yes, there's been a color theme in the last couple photos. I guess I'm starting to long for fall. Right now we have the really hot weather we normally get in July).

This is a more-involved pattern (and longer) than some mitts, but it works up nicely. The opposite side of the mitt is broken rib, which gives some stretch (good, because the merino-and-silk yarn is less-stretchy than some):

fishtail underside

I also finished the current quilt top this weekend. The original pattern was done in lawn, but after sewing one quilt top in lawn....well, I'm going to stick to quilting cotton from then on, because sewing on lawn is Not. Fun.

For this top, I used mostly fabrics from Jessi and Lauren Jung's "Hideaway" line - very cute, vaguely alpine-themed fabrics:

"Hideaway" quilt

I was going to hang it on my clothesline to photograph it, but then I learned the hollow top of the uprights are now home to a colony of "red wasps" (I don't know the scientific name for sure - they're probably a Vespa wasp, but they are common around here and are very aggressive. So I decided to avoid that area, either until I can hit it with an anti-wasp spray, or until we get a freeze.) ETA: Nope, they're Polistes carolina, not Vespa

Here are a couple close-ups showing some of the fabrics. I have a big piece of the border fabric to use as the backing.

close up 1

Close up 2

(No, the foot isn't for scale or anything! I didn't realize I was getting my foot in the photo. I'm still wearing my dress shoes there; I had a meeting this afternoon at church and didn't bother to change clothes when I got home from church.)

No comments: