Monday, August 26, 2013

Monday afternoon random

* I was thinking about doing something "fun" (either McKinney trip, or....I don't know) over the upcoming "4-day" weekend (Well, four days for me as I do not teach Tuesdays). But, meh, it's going to be like 105* out (here is the heat we normally get in July) and I don't like being outside more than I have to when it's hot. So I might just stay home instead.

ETA: It's supposed to be 103 - without the heat index, and it's been crazy humid here, so the heat index is even higher - on Thursday. So I am pulling this out again:

















* There are grasshoppers *everywhere*. Freaking grasshoppers. I am not bug-phobic by any stretch but I really, really dislike the grasshoppers. I had one jump down my shirt front while I was doing fieldwork on Saturday (try to get that out gracefully) and had them jumping at my face, stuff like that. Here's hoping we get a cold wet fall and an early freeze to kill them off.

* I'm still contemplating "next projects." Circling back around to the idea of doing the "witches' britches" again. (when I did measure my waist, it was, uh, an inch or two larger than I estimated. But I still think my modification of adding 10 more stitches to each side in the middle of the piece will work well enough, and at the stated gauge that should add 3-4 inches, which SHOULD take them up to a point where they will fit loosely enough.)

I'm still unsure of yarn to use for a slipover sweater; I don't have any "unaffiliated" yarn in sweater-size amounts and I'm loath to buy more until I knit some of what I have up. So unless I "repurpose" from another planned project, or just happen to have enough of the right color in leftovers....the cabled slipover will have to wait.

*I think part of it is I'm hitting that feeling again that usually comes in July - that it will never cool down, it will never rain again, it's always going to be unbearably hot so what's the POINT of knitting anything. Intellectually I know that's not true but when it's this hot sometimes intellect goes out the window a little.

* I turned off word verification (because I know people hate it) for now. Already the anonymous spammers have found me. (And grrr, from what I've read elsewhere, some real humans who would want to comment are not being able to because Blogger is screwing up the OpenID login. And yet, the spammers can find me and try to post links.)

Comments are still, as always, on moderation. I think that's the best policy to avoid cruddy spammers and also possibly to avoid trolls, though I can't say I've ever had a real troll show up here.

* I'm going to have to decide if I have the energy to try the recipe I was planning to do tonight, or if I do it tomorrow night. The new Cuisine At Home had a recipe for "lighter" Chicken Francese (essentially - chicken with a light flour coating, pan fried, and served with a lemon/white-wine sauce). It looked really good to me and if I leave out the salt from the recipe it will be low enough in sodium. But I find the heat saps my energy like nothing else, so I might not feel up to it. (I think the sell-by date on the chicken was Thursday or Friday, so I've got a little time)

*I did do three of the five lines-of-blocks on Saturday (the field research). For a while, I was all geared up, thinking " YEAH! I will get ALL the sites done TODAY and have Tuesday to work on other things!" But then I started the fourth line, and my body just went "Nope!" and I realized I was just so tired all of a sudden....and at any rate, I had blocked out time to do it tomorrow, so I'm going to do it tomorrow. (I've found sudden tiredness, especially in the heat, may be a feature of being on a beta blocker for me. It happened to me once earlier this summer and while I powered through that by sitting in my air conditioned car for a while and eating a really old, really squashed granola bar I found in my field pack - it's probably better NOT to try to power through when I have the option not to)

No comments: