Thursday, June 27, 2013

Socks and pony

(not to be confused with Pony In Socks)


These are the finished "Carousel" socks. So named because that was what the dyer called the colorway:

finished carousel socks

I think this is one of the prettiest of the self-striping yarns I've used, and that's saying a lot, because I'm a big fan of self-striping yarns. The colors are shades of purple and shades of a warm, slightly orangish tan.

Here's a close-up, taken without flash:

carousel close up

I really like how the dyer got that ombre effect - where it goes "darker purple, lighter purple, white, lighter purple, darker purple, dark tan, light tan, very light tan, light tan, dark tan...."

The yarn is Biscotte et Cie's "Felix" yarn. This is a Quebecois yarn, dyed in Canada. Most of the colorways have French names. (As I said, I am not sure if "Carousel" is inspired by Rarity's boutique - at first the colors made me think slightly of it). I have another one in the stash named "Chaudron Baveur" which literally means "Drooling cauldron" (heh. I vaguely remember that "baveur" was something said, kind of like "durr" or "ah-doy" when someone said or did something boneheaded in French class. No idea if the "real" Francophones use it that way). Actually, it probably better translates as "Leaky Cauldron" like in the Harry Potter books. The yarn is green (that "poison green") and purplish (IIRC) so it will be an odd color combination but I kind of liked it. (I MIGHT make mitts out of it rather than socks; I have not decided yet)

The yarn "base" is also nice - soft but not TOO soft, and kind of "springy."

Also, the pony repaint. This is a Rarity-mold pony ("Golden Delicious," her color combination was not too exciting, IMHO - and anyway, I already had one). I repainted her with Revlon's "Orchid" nail polish, and her mane is Essie's "Wrapped in Rubies."

She also has a tiny heart-shaped cutie mark (Essie's "Headmistress"). I find nail polish is actually a lot more satisfactory for these figure repaints than acrylic paint is - it dries faster and sticks better and doesn't show brushmarks. (I suppose if I wanted to do this in a bigger way I could invest in some "odd" colors; I know there are lots of colors of nail polish you can get now even though I tend to stick to the pink/bluish-red family of colors for my own nails). Her name is Glamour Heart, and yes, you need to spell Glamour with a U.

"Glamour Heart"


1 comment:

CGHill said...

The actual Rarity from that blindbag series, apparently, is gunmetal grey. At least, mine is.