Tuesday, January 22, 2013

With Apologies To...

Something like this has been rattling around in my head a few days. I had to get it out.

It doesn't scan perfectly with the original, but I did my best (at least I got the rhyme scheme, more or less):

Consommé (with apologies to D. Parker)

Sugars cause diabetes;
Fat causes liver-sick
Gluten’s in wheaties,
And rice has arsenic;
Salmonella in salad
Amines in meat
Every food’s horrid;
You might as well eat.


(I was originally going to end it with "you might as well starve" but that would not have fit the rhyme - and it would have been less in the spirit of the original. And I tried to work something about salt in there - that being the original reason for my frustration, thinking of the list of foods I wanted to eat that particular day, and the foods I COULD eat, and finding very little Venn-diagram overlap in them, but it just didn't work out that way)

3 comments:

CGHill said...

Definitely the loudest laugh of the day.

Lynne said...

Very clever.

The original was in an anthology of poems that we had in junior high (1972). It wasn't published, IIRC, it was a mimeo thing that some teachers put together.

Can you imagine them teaching that to 13 year old kids in this day and age?

L.L. said...

LOL, very witty!