Friday, November 18, 2011

Embarrassing to admit...

...but what the heck. File this under the "ways in which I am a bit of a nutcase" heading.

Last night, when I got done with everything I "had" to do (some grading, my piano practice, dinner), I sat down to watch television for a few minutes. But first, for some reason, I went and got the little amigurumis of Fluttershy and Derpy Hooves and sat with one tucked up under each arm while I watched.

I'm embarrassed to confess how comforting I found that. It's totally illogical, but there you are. I think the "critters" I keep hanging around are sort of pet-substitutes for me; I'm not home enough (I think) to have a real cat or real dog (And as nice as stuff like fish are, for me, a pet has to be warm-blooded), and also, the way my allergies have increased in the past year, I don't know that a furry pet is a wise idea for me. (And at any rate, with my luck, if I got a cat, it would be one of the aloof kind that never wanted to be near me).

I don't know. Maybe other adults have their own sorts of "security blankets" and they just don't admit to themselves that that's what they are...maybe some of the expensive cars or fancy gadgets or jewelry or whatever are a sort of security blanket, but because they're expensive and typical grown-up trappings, we're able to fool ourselves into thinking they're something different from that. I don't know. But I do admit to the fact that I need "security objects" around me...usually in my case they are not fancy or expensive, however.

No comments: