Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day II

I really do need to gut up and go work in my sewing room. (I will admit to putting it off because I THINK that is where the mouse ran last night. I blocked off the gap beneath the door so it could not exit. I didn't see it when I checked this morning and the trap was not sprung, but it might still be hiding out in there. Or it might have found a way out (I HOPE: the room has several "outside" walls and there might be a gap big enough for a mouse to exit; it's a room that used to be a screened porch so there could be gaps)).

But one thing I did yesterday - before I discovered that I was not the only mammal in the house - was to redecorate my mantel after removing the Christmas stuff.

I do still want to get something taller - maybe a tall pillar candle, or maybe a candleholder with a taper - to go in the middle because that seems, to my eye, to be what it needs, but here it is:

January 2011 mantel

Lots and lots of (unscented) tealights in the various pressed-glass pieces I have. (Thank goodness I could find unscented; the fug from scented tealights in that number would be overwhelming).

I don't know; I just like white candles in glass dishes. I like the grouping of them and all the icy light they give off. (If I had lots of money to blow on something like that, I'd probably buy enough of the LED tealights - the ones that don't actually have flames - and set them up so I could leave them on more, like when I'm not in the room. But I suspect that the LED tealights that you can buy at craft stores are pretty cheaply made and might either poop out fast or not work at all. I bought new (battery operated) window-candles at Lowe's this Christmas and was really disappointed in their performance; next year I think I am going to mail-order the solar-powered kind (which also have a light sensor to turn them on and off). I think Vermont Country Store may have had them...)

Here are all the candles lit, in a dark room.

all the candles

No comments: