Thursday, January 13, 2011

And it's cold

This is something I overheard on campus the other day. It was Tuesday, a/k/a "move-in" day.

I guess some of the students hadn't bothered to check the weather forecast for here or something.

But there was one guy - walking around in those nylon basketball shorts, and a t-shirt, and I don't think he even had socks on with his sneakers. (And I was wearing my Paddington Bear coat, and a scarf, and gloves).

And the guy sees one of his buddies, and yells out to him: "Why did we come back to [expletive deleted] Oklahoma? We're [expletive deleted] idiots!!!"

And I thought: You may consider yourself to be an idiot but I don't think "coming back to Oklahoma" is the behavior that is the most idiotic here.

(Really, I wonder where he was before he came back here...Brazil? Because most of North America has been, if not frigid, unseasonably cold of late.)

(I also commented to the campus nurse about there being people moving in wearing just shorts and t-shirts and she kind of laughed and said, "Let me guess the gender of the person..." Though I would more blame it on the decade of life that the person was in than on his gender; I've certainly seem my share of inappropriately-dressed female students)

1 comment:

Mom on Health Patrol said...

Hah...my 14-year-old son refuses to wear a jacket to school this winter, and today it's in the teens. I honestly don't think he feels the cold, whereas I need many layers at all times of the day and night. My mantra "Pick your battles".....