Sunday, November 21, 2010

Final gift finished

Perhaps I need to scale back the expectations of what I will accomplish on the weekend. This weekend I had fewer things on the list and actually got all of them done.

One thing was to finish the Basketry Mitts for the AAUW gift exchange

basketry mitts

I used Paton's "FX socks" in a color called Clover Mix. I hope other people like these. I do, but then I'm kind of a sucker for those tweed/ombre yarns - where each ply slowly changes color, so you get a subtle gradation of color combinations.

They're not matchy but this yarn is hard to get to be matchy. (And it would have taken breaking into the second ball and winding off a lot of the yarn). They took somewhere between 160 and 165 yards...the ball claims 166 yards, and I had just a bit left over (But balls can vary; I think they're put up by weight rather than strict yardage, and on a humid day the wool would absorb water and be a bit heavier, and so the ball might run shorter...)

I also finished most of the grading (I have a few grad-student second-article-critiques to do yet). Well, most of the grading until Monday. I collect a take-home exam and give an exam in another class.

I did decorate for Christmas but I'm saving those pictures and description for tomorrow or Tuesday, as I anticipate having a truckload of grading to do Monday afternoon and evening, and perhaps not getting much else done. (I want to have ALL the grading done before I leave for Thanksgiving, so I won't have to feel like I should drag it along with me.)

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I like those colors.