Monday, December 07, 2009

I did some knitting over the weekend. It was mostly gift-related things (including a start on a sooper seekrit swap present for February, which I won't post here until the swappee actually receives it).

But two Christmas gifts I can post here, as I am beyond reasonably confident that neither person reads.

First, for the long-time family friend with whom small gifts are exchanged:

dishcloths

Three dishcloths. The leftmost one (blue) is crocheted; it's the very simple "first project" dishcloth from "Cozy Crochet." The middle one is the cute waffle-pattern cloth. I've already started another - in red and white "candy cane" yarn to give to my mom. And the third one, the blue ombre one, is the plain old "Grandmother's Favorite" pattern - but as I said, it makes a very effective dishcloth so there's not really a need to be fancy with it.

I was also thinking hard about some small gift for Jo - the person who gave me the Beatrix Potter book. I usually give her some small item, but because of the stage of life she's in, too much "stuff" is not desirable. (And she has to watch her diet with certain things - salt, especially, now - so food gifts can be tricky).

But she does like small ornaments and such. She has a whole row of model cottages in her house, and she has some Britain's metal soldiers (I think it's the Coldstream Guards) that she picked up on one of her trips back home. And she likes birds. And she likes the sort of small toy-type item.

So then I saw this pattern and figured it would be just right.

I will say the directions are kind of minimal - they don't even really tell you which end is up (I used the decrease end as the head end) and the beak on mine came out a little different than on the original. But still, I think it's cute.

little bluebird

No comments: