Sunday, April 05, 2009

I got a start on putting together the blocks for the County Line quilt - these are the ones using the Ooh la la vintage-inspired Parisian scene fabric.

(The file linked is a .pdf. It's a free quilt pattern, but it uses the alternate colorway - the one I do not like as well. You can see my preferred colorway in the photos below)

nine finished County Line blocks

These are nine (of what will eventually be twenty-four) blocks. They will be set together with the same dark greenish-blue fabric (1 1/2" sashing, which is not a lot of fun to cut). The pattern is called County Line, I used it for a quilt made with poppy print fabric.

I like the pattern for large-scale prints (or, here, for the sort-of-1950s-feeling abstract-art inspired prints; there's a vaguely Mondrian quality to how the pieces are set together).

There are only (really) five different fabrics in the line - the main street-scene fabric, some butterflies, a floral, a stripe, and tiny multicolored circles. So I added in a bunch of other fabrics that have the same colors and general "feel."

Here's a close up of one of my favorite bits of the "main theme" fabric (the street scene - this will also be the wide border on the outside of the quilt)

county line block close up

It's a rather concerned looking poodle. (You can't quite tell the expression from the photo, but the expression has the same worried dubiousness to it that you see on some of Tove Jansson's drawings of the fillyjonks. Which is probably why I like it.)

2 comments:

Lydia said...

That's a really lovely quilt.

Kucki68 said...

I love the stained glass effect it is giving. Very nice!