Monday, August 24, 2026

back to mitts

 I spotted the "Book Lovers Mitts" in a project bag and pulled them out. The first mitt is all but done - I just had to bind off the finger end and then do the thumb (I still didn't finish that)

I rotated it in Photos but it rotated back, this stupid laptop, it's so much worse than the one I had up to 2023 or so.

 

I did get some more done on the hat over the weekend but no photo of that tonight.

I'm pretty tired. It's still unbelievably hot here, I think this is the worst year since 2011, and there's no end in sight to the heat or drought. 

I dunno, I'm just tired and sad, I think some of it is the heat and just that a lot of bad stuff is going on locally, some of which I can't talk about. (We aren't that close to Velma, a town that had a massive wild fire, but we're close enough and this state is small enough in terms of population that we heard. And also a about a school bus wreck where some teens were injured). 

I went to a barbecue at a colleague's but wound up leaving first (though by then it was 8 pm) because I was so peopled out, and I felt bad that I can't be more social and I don't....I don't have a lot of interesting stuff to say, I mostly have just always worked since I was 30 and I don't travel interesting places or things like that and I wound up feeling bad and weird because why can't I be a more normal human? (In their defense: none of my colleagues acted like that, it was just my own brain). But I don't do so well with "unstructured" interaction where I don't exactly know my role. Like, at church I know where I fit in in the hierarchy, and if I were in a craft group I'd know, but with work-people I'm odd because I'm still single in my 50s and like I said, I haven't done a lot and I think I'm kind of uninteresting. 

And that continued after church, when we all went out to a Mexican place (it's a good restaurant and probably my favorite Mexican place here) but someone commented I was "quiet" and I just mentioned I was "still peopled out" and apparently a couple folks didn't understand how that was possible.

(Part of it is also probably that because of the heat and school starting up and bad construction on the interstate, I've not been out of town in a long time - I think the quick trip up to Sulphur was the last time - and having to manage with what the wal-mart carries for food and not getting to see different places maybe gets to me a little and reminds me of 2020).

But yeah, I am tired.  

No comments: