Tuesday, April 16, 2024

not quite yet

 I'm up to row 30 (of 38, before I change over to just the blue) but I ran out of steam this evening. I have four more rows of yellow; I think I'll have enough.

I will say I'm pleased with how it's turning out; Orchard and Vine is a nice pattern and it works up attractively. And I like the yarn (KnitPicks' sportweight "High Desert" blend, which is a Merino/Merino-Rambouillet cross blend, so it's fairly soft and drapey). 

I do want to finish a few things before starting anything new, but I also want to start new things. I don't know what. 

***

I'm currently most reading "Murder at the College" (Victor Whitechurch), another one of those Golden Age British mysteries (there are dozens of these - I often think of a bookseller who had a stall in an antiques mall I used to frequent, who had a sign up noting that before television, and also in small towns (no movie theater), the main mode of entertainment for people was reading (and radio*). Apparently the author was himself a clergyman; the story itself concerns a group of academics, artists, and ecclesiastics who decide on renovations/new additions to churches, and apparently one member went against the grain of an Important Person, who is now the leading suspect in his death.

I don't know; I find these more absorbing than many books,, and so I tend to pick those up at night to read on.. 

I think also fundamentally I like the idea that wrong will be found out and punished (or at least prevented from doing wrong again) and right will prevail; too often in day to day life it feels like those who do wrong just get to keep on going and doing wrong, and those who try to do right are thwarted.

(*and radio, yes. Modern over the air radio, at least where I live, is a very shallow and weak version of once it was - we don't even have a classical or NPR station so I pay for Pandora to have classical music. And I don't know that ANY US stations do on-air dramas any more. BBC, which I guess is kind of like public radio (paid by taxes, run by, I guess, a branch of the government?) still does this - the Radio 4 still does science programs and dramas and comic quiz shows and other things, and it's much more diverse and interesting than the sports talk, political talk and "both kinds of music**" we tend to get)


(**"Uh, what kind of music do you usually have here?" "oh, we got BOTH kinds, Country AND Western." Although here it's really more "Country" and what passes for "Classic Rock" these days)

I suppose arguably radio was what network tv is (more or less) now, but still - sometimes I want to LISTEN while working on something, and not have to look, and radio dramas and the like are designed so you don't have to watch to catch all the action.

No comments: